Friday, December 01, 2023

Christmas... This is warning number 1.

 

It's beginning... the annual Humans-Go-Crazy winter festival. 

I noticed a half eaten mince pie on the pavement up the street. And there are fairy lights at night in some of the windows. Not good news for cats. At Christmas 2019 I was quite ill from eating a mince pie. It's the raisins inside the pastry that can be toxic.

And while turkey is delicious, the cooked bones can be dangerous. So can chocolate, alcohol and onions.

So far I haven't seen any new pot plants - thank goodness. Pointsetta isn't absolutely poisonous but it isn't very good for cats. Luckily I have never been tempted to eat any.

As for lilies they are far more dangerous. Even the pollen can poison us if it drops on our fur and we lick it off. My human cuts off the pollen stamens if she is given lilies. And she puts them high up out of reach. 

So start looking out for hazards, fellow cats. Next week I will talk about some more Christmas disasters.

 

  • If your human is seriously interested about cats, she might like this book for Christmas.



8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this warning, George! Personally, I think humans should avoid dangerous foods too! And for the plants? Only Mistletoe should be allowed to hang high up so our humans can hold us and give us little kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, George, I've got the book! I absolutely love it! Every cat guardian (or slave, to be correct) should get your book! I absolutely love it! Love it! Love it! It seems that my humans enjoy it as well, and one of them won't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the book too! Can I get it in the USA or Canada? Bookstores? Amazon? Oh, I'll check to see where I can purchase it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, hope a bit of roasted turkey breast is ok! Please say yes! Don't ruin my Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No turkey bones but a bit of breast yes.

      Delete
  5. Well, too bad I'm not drinking; otherwise, I would give up my wine for extra treats! So, any idea how I can coerce my humans into giving up counting my treat portions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list, George! Thank you! Is it ok to have canned sardines(in water)? It must be; otherwise, how would I know it's Christmas?

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org