Saturday, January 01, 2011

Teasing my human on the toilet.

Dear George.
I love your blog! So impressed that you have your human trained to transcribe it for you. I tried it once but my humans were too dense to keep it up.
In revenge for their stupidity I have discovered that one of my habits is infinitely confusing to them. I should first explain that as an indoor cat living in a small house, my litter tray is tucked away in the bathroom next to the big porcelain one the overdeveloped apes use. I wait until the female is using her litter tray and then wander in to use mine. Of course I have to drape my tail over her leg while I get myself in position, then, as I go I can gaze up at her. This REALLY confuses the human. If she tries to move before I'm done to get her hands wet (why do they do that, can't they keep themselves clean without involving water?) I'll tell her off, maybe even swipe at her leg, and then start again. If I don't need to go then I can just sit between her feet. It's best if she's wearing trousers as then I can get in them and control when she can move again.
Most importantly I rarely do this with the male one, only the female. They are really confused and, even better, occasionally unnerved by my behaviour.
My problem - which I have considerable difficulty admitting, even to your good self - is that the truth of the matter is that I have absolutely no idea why I am compelled to do this. I was wondering if you had any ideas?
Yours,
Mog

Dear Mog,
We are in deep waters here. On the one hand you are teasing your human in a splendidly creative, possibly even a triumphant way. I particularly like the inbuilt punishment if she moves before you want her to. And that splendid little addition of climbing into her trousers and sitting there to stop her moving. This is cat control at its best. I congratulate you.
However, I also understand that you are worried about this.... and I can see why. All of us get used to a certain ritual around toileting. Humans, for instance, often feel the need to read at the same time. We cats often have digging rituals - one dig to the right, one to the left, for instance. Some of us turn round before: others turn round afterwards for inspection. Some insist on using only one side of the litter tray. And so forth. Your ritual now involves a human.
What I fear is that this may become a dependency. If you get too used to the human presence, you may begin to find it difficult to eliminate when she is not there. And, of course, though it is only a relatively unimportant question of human rather than feline welfare, the same may happen to her. You may both find a certain difficulty in performing without the other's presence.
Be warned. Do not take this splendid game too far. We cat must never ever become dependant on human affection or even a human presence. Independance on the toilet, as well as elsewhere, must be maintained. So try to keep this human tease within moderation. Use your litter tray at least once a day without her presence.
Happy New Year to all Felines
George.
PS. If you will forgive a personal remark - what splendid white whiskers you have.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks George. The humans have stopped the game by getting one of those covered litter trays. I like it a lot more, but I did make the female hold the door open for me the first time I used it!
    You can aways make personal remarks if they are nice ones about my whiskers! I'm so pleased you noticed them, they take a lot of maintaining, you've no idea what it's like to have bed-head in your whiskers!

    Happy New Year.
    Mog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fluffy and CayenneJanuary 03, 2011

    May all sentient beings have a safe and happy 2011! May all have shelter, food and love!
    Love
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    PS. Mog, we think your habit is a sure sign of being too spoiled :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mog, com'on man! get out of her pants!
    Frederico

    PS. Happy New Year to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mog, I must say you are beautiful. So glad you have better arrangements with your human. We are difficult to train.

    George, Happy New Year to you and your faithful secretary, Celia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See that little tip of the tongue stuck out?
    That's a sure sign of being very and I mean....very spoiled! Mog....you are so lucky!
    Love
    Shumba

    PS. Happy 2011 to all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir WinstonJanuary 08, 2011

    Impressive whiskers!
    Happy New Year!
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mog, I hate the covered litter tray (I always feel like suffocating in there) but I love your whiskers!
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org