Sunday, August 31, 2008

How to make a human give you food.


Dear George,
I have had to find a new home, because my last owners just went on holiday last spring leaving me to fend for myself. But my new humans don't believe in feeding cats titbits. My last humans didn't exactly hand out titbits but they were so disorganised that a lot fell to the floor or was left out in the kitchen where I could find it easily. They did very little cleaning up. Now I am having to start a new training regime. What do you suggest?
KitKat.

Dear KitKat,
We all know the principles of human training - reward good behaviour and ignore bad. But the major difficulty is how to get across to a human exactly what we want. They are not very bright. Indeed, I would go further. Frankly, they are dumb animals.
Some humans understand a little body language. Do they follow your gaze? these are the rare humans (rather like dogs) that are aware of where a cat is looking. For these it is easy to signal what you want. You just stare at it. Then stare at the human. Then take your eyes back to what you want. This is particularly easily done if you are sitting on the table next to your human's plate. If you are very lucky, you will have that kind of alert human.
But it is more likely you don't. Stare all you like, they will ignore it. The next method is to signal by approaching what you want. If the cat food is hidden in a cupboard walk to the cupboard and paw at the door. If the food you want is on the table, jump up and sit close to it. Use your paw to signal which bit you want. Try to point hesitatingly while looking cute.
If cuteness fails, you need to be decisive. Training is all very well but a cat sometimes has to take what he needs without involving human compliance. Some humans are just too stupid for training at all. They can't seem to focus on it. Too busy vocalising, watching TV and generally lounging about.
If your new humans are like this, just get there and help yourself. Some cats take the food off the fork, while the human is transferring it to his mouth. Others just hook it off the plate. There are even cats that try to eat it out of their human's mouths - Spink, a Cypriot cat, used to lick toothpaste off his owner's teeth. But you need to be very bold.
If you are a frightened cat, think devious. Just wait till the humans are out of the room and sneak quietly in and steal it. Well it's not really stealing, is it? What's theirs is yours anyway - all of it, beds, food, chairs, windowsills, house and garden.
George

8 comments:

  1. I've had mine trained for years, but this is very excellent advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on the subtle approach. Now I just take what I fancy. I have learned to open those silly little plastic dustbins that the humans "lock" my food away in too. If I can't manage it on my own, I involve the other cats who live here, we have been known to use team work to get a roast chicken out through the cat flap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK OK I'm sorry I am a rabbit. BUT I managed to train my human by lunging and growling every time she gives me a treat. I would only growl when she made me perform first!

    Now I get food treats at a suitable distance from the performances and she gets to give me cuddles on a daily basis when I choose.

    They are very stupid sometimes.
    I order my food in the mornings and then I decide when I should eat it so I have all day to enjoy it. I like to drag it around and chase it. I do think I have feline connections - I get a booster hay feed in the after noon but I have loads of chewing hay as I like to eat my bed which is all clean hay.
    There is only crumbs on the kitchen floor and I am not interested in crumbs or old cabbage leaves.
    She hides little healthy treats around in my favorite places so I can "find them" on a good day.

    I still have ribs because I get to run around a lot.

    Training humans? Piece of cake.(carrot of course!)

    lennie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just walk all over my human. She sits down and I immediately jump into her lap and keep on walking around and around and meowing until she gives in. I have her trained well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Training humans can be difficult, but it is very rewarding when it works. I remember a kitty who used the lunge and grab method to get what she wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to stop by and invite you to my party Friday-Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 28, 2009

    Help my new owner won't feed me any of her stringy things and they look so good and they also dont let me go outside... What should I do??

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org