Saturday, August 02, 2008

Humans quarrel among themselves as much as we cats do

Dear George
I think you have been taken in by human hypocrisy. They quarrel among themselves just as much as we cats do. If not more. Ask yourself how many humans want to live with their mother. I mean old age homes are overflowing with humans (not cats) because humans dump their parents there, or because the parents go there rather than be bullied in their childrens' homes. I was passing by in France when your Celia was there with her family. The tension.... you could feel the family dysfunction.
Dorothee of Castres

Dear Dorothee,
I stand corrected. I don't know why I supposed that humans are truly social or pack animals. In some ways they may be, but they certainly often don't get on very well in families. They talk about loving each other, but in actual fact most of them are very selfish. Talk... yes. Real family feeling...maybe.  Translated into family action and kindness ... often not.
And very few of them live with their parents after the age of 30 - and very few old parents are taken in by their children particularly when they get old, confused and perhaps rather difficult to live with. Why is there sheltered housing and old age homes for humans? Because they need them. They don't want to live with each other!
Humans are always so hypocritical. They expect us to live in the house together, without thinking of whether we want to. They keep a female cat, let her have kittens, and then expect her to live with one of the kittens. What if she doesn't want to? What is the kitten wants the freedom to live apart from the parent? That's what humans have. Why can't cats have that freedom too! Why do they assume they know what is best for us!
They choose our friends for us. They  go out and come home with another cat without so much as consulting us. Then they expect use to like each other. Why should we? I mean if I went out and brought back a human that appealed to me, why should Celia want to live with him or her? I know a cat called Vincent who was in love with the postwoman. But he never asked her to live with his friend, Pam. He didn't expect Pam to like her too. Humans do this to us all the time. Just add a cat. Without thinking. Without asking.
It is only because we tactfully avoid each other, and try pass by without fights that this completely random habit of humans doesn't lead to real bloodshed. Sometime I despair of the species. Clever monkeys? Not at all. Give me a sensible ape any day rather than a ridiculous human.
George


8 comments:

  1. i totally think humans are hypocritical, but as long as my litter box gets scooped daily, i'll forgive them. thank goodness i'm an only kitty...well, except for my evil alter ego.

    i love the limmerick Karen Jo did of you. that picture is cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As ever George, you are spot on. The only way forward is to educate humans to understand feline needs and to stop them projecting their own needs and aspirations onto us. But if they can't even be humane to their own kind, how on earth can they extend humaneness to us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully, my two humans get along very well, but their extended family is something else. Only thing, they never come home bloody like I've been doing lately. My territory is getting harder and harder to defend considering my age. New neighbors are bringing in characters that don't understand what boundaries mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't been by to see you for awhile, George, because we've been so busy trying to manage our humans' hypocrisy. But no matter what they're doing, I plan to visit more often, because your great wisdom keeps me grounded!

    Rocky
    & the Artsy Catsy cat staff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an only kitty too. Miewmie knows I wouldn't like a playmate. There are plenty of cats in the neighbourhood if I gets fed up and I don't weely efen like them much !

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, why my humans thawt, just because she was living outside and had kittens and was starving, that I would accept Sadie as my sister I will never know. She was rude from the start and I let her know immediately that I thawt she was rude. Now she wants to be frends, just because we both like the male cat that came here to live. Well, I will tolerate her as long as he is around but without him she is just a rude, selfish brat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judging by your writing, I guess our family is one of the lucky ones. My humans have brought home 3 kittens over the past 6 years, dumped them on me and expected me to raise them all and keep a peaceful household! I think I've done a fine job though, since we all get along fairly well except for a few minor spats now & then.

    George

    ReplyDelete
  8. George Online Cat is the good website to people. Many people are like to catch the pet cats. Its colours is interesting to watch. Human quarrel among themselves as much as we cats do. Many pets are want to live there mother. The cats are lovely to see.
    =================================
    jeliament
    Persian Cats and Kittens - Purrinlot Cattery

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org