Sunday, August 10, 2008

Are some humans cat addicted?


Dear George,
I always know when They are up to something...  And now I know what it is: they want me to have a companion. They talk about it in huddles. Should they get an older chap like me (I'm 13)? A younger quieter nervous chap, as I know I was? Or should they  leave well alone? The thing is, George, do I or don't I want a companion? I don't know. Especially having lived with the imperious matriarch who ruled the roost here when I arrived - though I must say she looked out for me whenever I appeared under threat from neighbouring ASBO feline bullies. But I do get bored. I'm spoilt, admittedly. There's always treats all for me and sleep. I'd welcome your thoughts, George.
Kind Regards, Bodmin.

Dear  Bodmin,
Why let Them have all the fun and leave all the hassle for you? It looks to me as if they are being selfish.  If it's a kitten, it will spend its time trying to play games with you. When it's an adolescent it will play rougher games and may even bully you. At the age of 13 surely you are allowed a bit of piece and quiet. The idea of another cat is Theirs, not Yours. Are your humans suffering from problem cat owning?
Humans seem to get addicted to cats. First they get a cat, then they add another one, then somebody goes away and leaves one in the neighbourhood which moves in, and then they see a pathetic cat in a rescue shelter. Before you know where you are, your peaceful home has become a hostel for homeless felines. I exaggerate, of course, but it's a possibility.
But think of this. Will there be room for two cats on the bed? I mean, I find there is barely room for the humans on my bed. I aim to edge one of them out and send them to the spare room, then I can settle down with enough space and just one human. If there are two of you cats, you may have to banish both the humans from the bed altogether. I know there's plenty of room for them on the sofa downstairs. I know that they have no right at all to expect there to be space in the bedroom. But just think it through.
Better still talk to them about cat addiction. I have spoken sternly to Celia about this. I tell her that just as heavy drinking can lead to alcohol addiction, so a heavy cat intake can lead to cat addiction. Perhaps your humans are not real cat hoarders yet but addiction to animals really does exist. Get them to look at this bit  of film - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v+CxcchlDbACU. There's even a special website about it at the Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium, http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/rescue.htm 
Those of you out there who are owned by addicts, watch out. Once a cat addict, always a cat addict. They need a Power Greater Than Themselves to recover. If you can make them see sense you might be that Higher Power. Many cats have this position in the house - they rule.
If not, it will have to be that Great Ginger Tom above the stars, that Being which humans so oddly think is sort of human. The One that made everything from the glory of our whiskers to the shining of moonlight.

8 comments:

  1. BOTH my humans are hopeless addicted to cats. Fortunately, they hae stayed strong since my sister, Sweet Pea, was killed by neighbor's dogs. I continue to be KIND OF TIDEWATER! I hope they stay strong, because I'm having to fearcely defend my territory from a new cat in the area, and I certainly don't want to have to defend my house, my bed, my sofa or any other room in MY house. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived as a feral for about 4 years on land/shacks/sheds owned by idiot animal addicts. These people insisted they could care for the 60 or so animals they had. Goats, horses, cats, dogs, ducks, rabbits, cows, guinea pigs - every single one of them living in undernourished, unsheltered squalor. The owners claimed they had to keep these animals as learning aids for their daughter who had a mild form of Aspergers. She only ever came near us to abuse us. Even the RSPCA did nothing to stop these people, despite many complaints. Eventually I ran away and found myself a loving home - I took some convincing that humans were ok I can tell you. Yep, I share with 3 other cats but we get on well, play & sleep together and are very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Not The Mama and I'm a cat addict.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that was MY comment. I'm KING OF TIDEWATER. My human put her name on it. That's MY COMMENT!!!! Besides she makes all kind of typos. She needs to learn to type. Cats are so superior to humans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Mom Lady here says cats are like tato chips, you cant just has one. Yup our mom lady is addicted to us kittys!

    Molly and Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kinda' hope my beans never recover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that some humans are cat addicted and that can get very bad. However, I have observed that many cats enjoy the company of other cats. I guess it just depends on the cat whether a human should have just one or a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, had I had this information 5 years ago I could have shown it to my Mom and might have remained an only cat. As it is, she's brought home 3 kittens for me to raise. At 11, I'm too old for any more nonsense!

    George

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org