Saturday, June 29, 2019

Food bowls - what we like and what we don't.

Dear George,
I’m still scratching my head (metaphorically only) to understand why so much fuss about our food and water bowls. I never paid attention to what other cats eat or drink from because I took it for granted that we all eat and drink from stainless steel bowls but certainly this isn’t the case! 
Last night I paid a “welcome to the neighbourhood” visit to my next door kitty and, of course, since she’s the newest on the block I felt like it was my responsibility to check her food, water, surroundings, etc.- you know, just in case that one day I’d like to eat at her place! I’ve seen that she’s eating and drinking from plastic bowls that display little paws and cute kitty faces. 
I run back home to grab my mummy to show her these cute bowls! Oh boy, I still don’t know if that was a good idea since my mummy started lecturing this kitty’s human on the dangers of plastic bowls. She was firing at the poor guy strange names like mold, bacteria, PBA which impairs brain and neurological function, can create cat acne which actually is an allergic reaction and so she went on and on! I hope she didn’t scare the kitty or her human – both seems to be very nice!
George, what do you know about this topic? What bowls are safe for us?
Yours, 
Kitty K

Dear Kitty K,
I feel rather smug. I eat from an eco-bowl made from bamboo - https://www.becopets.com/cat-bowl It works well. I have a strong tongue (see photo of my friend Toby) and I need a stable dish.
Great strong groovy tongue
I don't care much for plastic (though I will eat from it if I must) because it has a smell that I can smell but humans can't. Nor do I like stainless steel because if my clumsy human trips on it or drops it, the noise frightens me. I can also see my reflection in it which can be scary. 
Ceramic is OK - that is what I have for my water bowls. I will also eat from them. They are more stable than plastic. I like more than one water bowl not next to the food bowl. We don't eat and drink at the same time like humans. It's not natural. And I like my bowl to be somewhere where I can eat while looking outwards, not eat looking into a wall. Seems safer that way somehow.
As for cute pictures on bowls, ignore them. They are there to make humans buy the bowl.  If I was choosing a bowl it would smell of mouse!
Yours
George

5 comments:

  1. Kitty K we hope your mom got you the bowls that you like now. We use stainless steel in our house but the bowls with paw prints on them sound much better. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using two of my humans' china bowls! Mummy decided if they are good for her these bowls are good enough for me! I agree! So, she dedicated two of them for my food and water! She cleans them every day (she makes my food too) :-)
    Cheers,
    Chico

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, the tuxedo catJune 30, 2019

    Toby, you look so cute! Guess, you actually are sticking your tongue out to your human :-)
    Purrs
    Carla, the tuxedo cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bamboo bowls! Hmm! Fancy stuff George! I'm going to look into it! I'm using a china small plate for my food and a small china bowl for my water! I know my human glued something on their base to make them stable!
    Puf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good info.perfect for this website What do animals eat?

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org