Saturday, November 27, 2010

If cats could only sue.....


Dear George,

My name is Ross and I was adopted as a kitten from a Humane Society. I travelled the world (two blocks around my house) and now, I’m studying to become a lawyer! Look at my sharp eyes! Can you see “the judge” in me?

So, dear George, if you continue to have problems with your lovely, but sneaky secretary just let me know! You can sue her and I can represent you! I’m really good in “criminal code”. THAT will put an end to her mischief!

So, what do you say?

Law abiding

Ross


Dear Ross,

I like the idea. I really do. Of course, it is obvious to us cats that we should have locus standi or legal standing in human courts. Only in that way could we, or any other animals, have any chance of ending human cruelty, neglect and exploitation. Only in that way could our current inadequate legal protections be properly enforced.

This idea has been put forward by Harvard Law Professor Cass R. Sunstein in a paper titled The Rights of Animals: A Very Short Primer. You can get the full document at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=323661 It's worth reading. He is a friend of President Obama, (who has shown a regrettable preference for dogs).

We cats would still need human representation at court (human judges being too stupid to understand us) but at least the point would be made that the victim is allowed access to justice. Like slaves we have no rights at all in the eyes of human law. At the moment there is no justice for animals except when various humane societies bring a court case. In deciding whether to do this, these organisations naturally take into account not just the nature of the crime but also whether they have the funds etc. If we could sue direct, all we would need to do would be to purrsuade one single human, rather than an organisation, to put up the money for the case.

One other point. Should humans have locus standi in feline courts? I think not. I do not think they have the intellectual capacity to understand what is going on.

Now let us turn to Celia, my erring secretary who has stolen my ideas and put them into a book, Cats Behaving Badly. This would be a question of copyright law, rather than cruelty or welfare law. In the UK courts to be successful I should have to prove she had stolen, not my concepts but my very words. I consider it might not succeed.

Besides, she is my pet. I love her even though she is maddeningly stupid, unreliable, a poor servant, and more or less bald. She can't help it. She really can't.

Yours with mixed feelings

George

PS. Cynical cats have told me that they think this is just human lawyers thinking up new ways to make money.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, cats should be allowed to sue.
    CATS RULE! Don't you (humans) dare to forget!
    Ross, consider yourself hired!
    I want to sue my female humans over the treats allowance! Not only that she counts "how much treats" I get but I'm getting the treats only when "I'm a good girl" and come home from the ravine when called. Does she thing she's Mendelson and I am his dog? I want to sue her!
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've seen dogs and cats getting credit cards in New York, so why not be able to sue humans! Ross .....you are the first cat lawyer I know of.
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! Didn't I say that George has a soft spot for Celia? See? She can actually get away with murder!
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  4. All humans should be prosecuted under one code or another (civil or criminal)! No mercy!
    I. personally, sue them all under the criminal code. Get them in jail! And let the mice free so we can have some fun!
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat VictoriaDecember 04, 2010

    Are you looking for a secretary?
    I'm available! I love criminal code and I can chase! I can even chase you! Try me :-)
    Cat Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. We kind of look alike; but I'm the movie industry!
    If you are serious about suing humans ....I'll send you my list! You are hired, amigo!
    Frederico

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even at 22....I'm learning every day!
    Can I sue dogs? Would you represent me?
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive Ross! Keep us posted on your progress and success as a lawyer!
    Love
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org