Saturday, November 20, 2010

I may be old but I need a home

Dear George,
Help me find a new home. Nobody wants me because I am old. I've been in my cat chalet for months and months waiting for that special person but nobody even gives me a second look. OK so I am a bit thin but I have wonderful golden ginger, white and black colouring. I am friendly and kind too even though I don't want to live with young children or dogs. It's better here than it was on the streets. They just dumped me, probably because I was ill with a thyroid disorder and they couldn't afford the vet bills. Being thrown away at the age of 10 and trying to struggle to survive without shelter or food is rough. Believe me, George, that was the lowest point in my life. Now I've got food and shelter with West Oxon Cats Protection but it is only half a life. Can you put in a word for the elderly?
Vera.

Dear Vera,
Some human beings are the lowest animals in nature. Real low life. Chucking out an elderly cat because she is ill has to be an example of really vile behaviour. Luckily you have survived and, though it's not enough, you have shelter and food and the kindess of your foster mother Dorothy.
Alas, there are too many cats like you. Click on any of the Cats Protection branches and shelters, and it's clear that kittens are adopted first, then handsome younger cats, and then, right at the end of the queue, old cats. Old cats don't want very much - somewhere quiet to live with warm fires and good food. Sometimes the charity concerned will even pay their vet bills. So they are not an expensive pet.
In return they give unchanging love and loyalty. Elderly cats will purr on the bed, stretch out under the radiators, take a sleepy but intelligent interest in the TV, and generally be company in the house. They are ideal pets for people who don't have a garden because they don't want to spend hours outside chasing mice.
So, Vera, hang on in there. You may be old but you sure are elegant with those lovely markings. At least in the UK we have no-kill animal shelters so you are safe where you are. My secretary, Celia, feels a special sympathy for you as she is caring for an elderly husband, currently very ill in hospital. She is hoping to readopt him when he comes out.
Love George

6 comments:

  1. Dear Vera,

    First let me say how lovely you are. The fact that you have entered a graceful old age to me only enhances your overall charm. I wonder have you thought of beginning a second career as a therapist at a local human veterinary clinic, or if such programs are utilized by human vets in your area? Allow me to relate the following: I am reminded of a fellow cat local to me and the trainer of a friend of my human's. Ollie was a stunning Himalayan who had the looks of a real aristocat but a totally egalitarian outlook. He lived to an advanced age in a quiet retirement with his human, herself a widow. When she grew seriously ill and required heart surgery, Ollie roused himself from his retirement to provide the constant companionship his pet needed. Wherever she went, he went, and wherever she sat, he sat next to her. He maintained a dignified restraint at all times; Ollie had never been a cuddler although he liked a good brushing as much as the next cat and would purr contentedly as long as he was being fussed over. His human eventually recovered. Then and only then, once Ollie saw that his human was strong enough to carry on alone, did he let go and died serenely in his sleep. His human later stated that Ollie's companionship was one of the things that made her get up in the morning during her illness, and that he gave her such joy that she was sure it aided her recovery. Not all of us cats are called to medicine or to human therapy (such as hospital cats, which my local human veterinary establishment uses on a scheduled basis, bringing them in for short periods of time for the benefit of sick humans--a brilliant scheme I think)but those that can do it, in my opinion, render humans an inestimable service, even though humans may (frequently) seem unaware of it. Even service that goes unrecognized carries its own rewards. Perhaps you will be able to do this, or perhaps an ill elderly person will realize that a live-in feline therapist will do him or her a great deal of good, and the job will not be too taxing for you. I wish you the best.

    Regards,
    Puss-Puss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Vera, I think it's abominable that you were thrown out for being a bit poorly and old. Mind you, I don't consider ten to be old at all. You have many years to go yet sweetheart. I do hope a kind ape comes along soon who is worthy of your beautiful, kind self and can offer you a wonderful, warm home where you can be waited on paw and paw in safety. Senior cats deserve all the luxury and love they can get. Don't give up hope Vera!

    George, we hope Celia's husband is soon well enough to be put up for re-adoption and he settles in back at home well with no litter tray mishaps or climbing the curtains. Please pass on our rumbly purrs to Celia and her husband. Thank you.

    Whicky Wuudler
    Over ten but not over the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Vera. Someone will come. We're sure of that. We've just taken in Boris, an older kitty who was dumped. We think he may be 5 or 7 or even older. He had a skin thing and he wasn't neutered either. It's slow work but Au and Target are accepting him.

    Your secretary seems nice. We're going to look for her column in the Daily Telegraph. We have our own column in The Star, the Malaysian national daily. We also feature in a book, Katz Tales. We'll Follow you and check up on future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fluffy and CayenneNovember 25, 2010

    Vera, you are so beautiful.
    It is impossible not to find a kind human to adopt and love you.
    10 years - that's not old and you deserve the best. Hope you'll find your forever home soon.
    Much love
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey kiddo! I'm almost 22 years old and still running up and the stairs!
    Don't give up hope - you'll find soon your "human" to train obedience :-)
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  6. tI makes me furious that people would treat an animal in such a disgusting manner!!!!!! This beautiful girl has lots of years, just look at Sebastian. My Oscar Snuggles was 15, so don't give up that you are old. I hope it will be soon that someone will give you a much deserved home.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org