Saturday, April 17, 2010

Victor Meldrew? Not any more now I am loved. Well, less grumpy!


Dear George
A few years ago your wretched secretary described me as a Victor Meldrew sort of cat (after the British TV series about a grumpy oldie). Maybe I was rather grumpy. I had spent a lot of time in catteries and then in rescue, so it was quite understandable that I used to swipe my claws at interfering humans. Yes, I admit it. I growled a lot too. It got them out of my space.
But, George, and this is the point of this letter, I am now a happy relaxed cat thanks to Louise who adopted me. Somehow when she came to Battersea Cat and Dog Home, she looked a sort of OK human - not something you can say about all of them. With a huge effort of self control, I refrained from biting her. And she took me home - forever.

It was rather a strain for me and I spent a few days under the bed. When I emerged I began to settle in and occasionally - just to please them - I will even sit on their lap. Do I bite and claw? Of course, I do, when I think they deserve it. But Louise is a sensible human who has learned to obey me. She occasionally has issues about how much space I leave for her in my bed (why doesn't she use one of the other 4 beds?) but otherwise has become a really good pet. And I am now training her mother in law, who doesn't like cats. I am working on her and she is coming round.
Regards, Louis

Dear Louis,
I remember the article in the Daily Telegraph and I recall thinking that Celia had perhaps been rather unfair on you. After all why shouldn't a cat in rescue be rather grumpy? It's no fun being banged up in a prison cell. Besides some of us cats just don't like humans very much and, alas, we have good reason for it. They abandon us in rescue centres and the worst ones just turn us out to starve on the streets.
I am glad that Louise has shaped up to become a good pet for you, Louis. Obviously, you were always going to be the sort of owner who demands a lot from their human, which probably meant that you spent more time than you ought in rescue. A word to all cats out there currently up for adoption, PRETEND to be nice. Deception pays off with these simple minded humans.
However, there are good humans like Louise who will take home difficult (in their eyes) cats. We need them.
Love George
PS. One of your fans says: "He looks a bit like a grumpy general with his white moustache and long whiskers and he leans on one elbow when he lies down or stretches out his front legs and crosses his paws over in front of him in what we call posh paws."

12 comments:

  1. Hey, Louis, I met George's secretary in the Daily Telegraph too and we became firm friends. I don't think you look a bit like Victor Meldrew but I only watch opera and The Simpsons. Still, as a house bunny I don't think we should meet up. I don't like the sound of scratching and biting.
    Harve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that Louis has found a forever home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louis, you sound like all the cats that we know. We just know that cats rule. You are doing a great job training your human. But good advice to all those that don't have homes yet, try to be nice. We know it is rough being in those shelters but if you are nice, hopefully someone will take you home. So Louis try to behave and have a super week end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louis, you look absolutely stunning and relaxed! I think I'm in love :-)
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louis, hope you don't have a grudge against Celia! She probably was a "kitten in training" herself when she wrote that article.
    Enjoy bitting and clawing your humans (one in a while) :-)
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louis, in the second photo...are you clawing Louise or training her on "HI Five"?
    Frederico

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my favourite yoga posture: posh paws!
    (on a big pillow, in the sunny place, please)
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mon General, impressive moustache and amazing whiskers!
    A bien tot,
    Porthos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Louis you struck gold (fish) when Louise took you home. I wish you well training the Mother in Law. Being in a shelter is so traumatic for we cats, humans don't often understand that. Celia would probably never describe a cat as grumpy nowadays, it's amazing and you may not believe it, but...

    ...apes can actually learn ;)

    Whicky Wuudler

    PS: My apes thinks you are a very handsome tuxie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Louis, be nice to Louise (and forgive Celia).
    I was rescued one cold, rainning night from the streets of a busy town. I was so young (about 4 weeks old) and sooooo scared.
    Now I'm happy and I always show my gratitute to my female human (even if she doesn't fully understand why I'm bringing her "gifts")
    We are lucky, Louis
    Minnie

    PS. Be extra-nice to the moster-in-law. I'm sure she means well! It just takes longer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Louis, you look so pretty! How can anybody think you are grumpy? Living in a shelter won't make one too joyful, right?
    I'm sure Celia is thrilled that you found Louise and have a forever home. Celia loves ALL cats and wish all of them to be happy and have forever homes. I can tell - read all her books :-)
    Love
    Fluffy

    PS. Me and my sister will pray for all cats to be safe and have food and homes and TLC!
    Actually, we pray for all sentient beings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. See we humans can be trained. Our Sweet Pea and Oscar Snuggles had us very well trained. That's why they lived such a good life with us. If/when we get another cat(s) we will rescue one/some from the pound.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org