Friday, October 02, 2009

Dragons for cats - the lizard option.


Dear George
There was talk of dragons earlier. I think you said you"d like to get a crack at a small dragon. Well, I have. Here's a photo of one of the tiny dragons I hunt relentlessly at home in the Pyrenees. Ok, so they don't breathe fire - the hillside would be alight in a second if they did. But lizards do look dragon-like.
Oddly enough my humans do not appreciate my efforts. Well, I say oddly enough, but you know what they are. Humans don't do gratitude. I've tried bringing these in to the kitchen and they just seem to shudder.
Yours
Lolo
Dear Lolo,
It looks pretty odd to me. I am used to mice - nice warm furry things. These lizards don't have any fur at all. it reminds me - in so far as it reminds me of anything, - the snakes that Clarri kills. He also comes from the same part of the world as you. His humans are just downright terrified even though they are much bigger than she is.
Interesting that they don't like lizards any more than they like mice. I caught a particularly large and succulent one the other day. I wondered whether they would like it better absolutely fresh, so I took it in while it was still alive. Nearly lost it through the cat flap. But I decided I would give it to Celia in her office.
The effect was not what I hoped but it was quite amusing. She let out a tiny shriek and jumped over me and the mouse (who was sitting on the carpet looking stunned), ran downstairs, ran back upstairs with a dishcloth, threw it on the mouse and grabbed the wrapped up mouse, ran downstairs again at full speed, and threw the package outside.
Were my efforts appreciated? No. Were they noticed? A big YES. Clearly mouse delivery works as a way of getting our pets to react and notice us.
Love George without Dragon.
For a photo of Clarri killing snakes look at Thursday, April 17, 2008 of this blog.

5 comments:

  1. Lolo's life sounds wonderful, with real lizards to catch in the Pyrenees. Nice long tails to crunch, bet Lolo's teeth are in great condition from crunching lizard bones.

    Mice, voles and moles do us mainly, with the odd rat for a treat. But 2 years ago, we found NEWTS - yum. The apes were sad about us eating newts. They kept saying words like "rare" and "endangered" - words no cat understands or cares about. We kept saying "tasty" and "crunchy" but they wouldn't listen. We didn't get to eat all the newts and we will never forget such primate treachery. Pfft!

    Whicky Wuudler

    PS: Clarri is amazing! Cor! such huge snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whicky Wuudler,
    What's a newt?
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would a "huuuuuge" fly or mosquito pass as a dragon? If it does, then I'm a big hunter :-)
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dragons? I've never seen one, but I know a "sneak pit". I even tried to "move in" a whole family of snakes! I was bringing one by one inside, but my humans got really scared and pissed (at me). Now....I have no toys left :-)
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cayenne, a newt is a tiny amphibious lizard that we have in the UK. Some of them are quite rare, and all the more tasty for it too YUM.

    Here is a link for you:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/479.shtml

    Whicky Wuudler.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org