Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Saggy tummy syndrome - how can I stop my human dieting me.


Dear George,
You may not be able to see from the photo, but I am a large cat. A seriously large cat. I put it down to my inheritable British Blue genes. Large size runs in my family - or so I like to think. It's not really fat. Just toned gorgeous muscle round the neck with a bit of FSTS, better known as feline saggy tummy syndrome. Alas, there are signs that my human wants me to diet.He has bought a huge sack of low calorie cat food. What can I do to stop him?
Herbie

Dear Herbie,
Feline Saggy tummy syndrome or FSTS is well known among cats of a certain age but from your photograph (which conceals the rest of your body) you certainly look like a well found cat of gravitas. There's a layer of muscle (I can be tactful) over the top of your neck which if repeated lower down must be fat (sorry to use the f. word) saggy tummy syndrome, FFSTS, the stage before obese saggy tummy syndrome known as OFSTS. Frankly, it would be a good idea if you got more exercise. There are ideas for indoor cats on my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com
That said, it is none of your owner's business to police your meals. What on earth gives the human species the right to interfere with the feline pursuit of love, life and happiness. Why are humans so fattist? Meals should be regular, of good quality and of sufficient quantity for you to enjoy. If you choose to be fat, why not? I suspect however, that your human is an enabler. While buying you diet food, he is probably feeding you on the sly. He may even be "feeding" his own codependance by over feeding you with unhealthy snacks. Maybe he too has human STS and he is working out his own psychological inadequacies on you. Humans can be much, much fatter than cats.
Rather than deprive you of the joy of food, he should be thinking of ingenious ways to get you interested in exercise to release some endorphins. Of course, the most obvious way would be to import living mice into his house, but that would be unduly cruel to the mice. He could however start feeding you in a more fun way. Hide the food throughout the household before he goes out. Get a food dispensing ball, and put it in there. Get various cardboard boxes, and hide the food in them so that you have to pull it out with a claw. Put food on the top of the cat gymnasium (that is, if it is steady enough to bear your weight.) More time spent playing with you, instead of slumping in front of the TV, would help too.
That way he would be adding fun to your life, giving you more exercise rather than simply depriving you of food. I blame him anyway for your weight. He is an enabler. Could you rehome yourself next door for a better kind of owner?
George
PS There's a very good comment about cat food below, which I will take up in a future blog.

6 comments:

  1. Herbie,
    You are beautiful! I know what you are feeling since recently....I heard my human male talking about having me on a diet!
    What's wrong with these humans?
    What's so complicated to understand that..."some are meant to be slim...and some are meant to be, well, a little chubby"? :-)
    I hope George will give us some good advice!
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would help if humans could find cat food that wasn't full of carbohydrates, pointless vegetables, soya and other garbage. This stuff doesn't help us in the tonnage department one bit.

    I like the idea of imported mice as it's getting a bit chilly to be out hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Maybe you should get a treadmill, Herbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately, I don't have that problem. In fact, I've always been so slim my humans let me eat any time I want to, which is a good thing for me. However, my dearly departed sister, Sweet Pea, was afflicted with the problem. She was always fat and as she got older her stomach got closer and closer to the ground. Poor darling, I still miss her, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckily I've never had to go on a diet... In fact, I'm a Maine Coon, a breed which is usually larger. I'm actually very slim! Just a lot of fur, my owner says... Exercising would be a great idea, Herbie! It can be fun, too!

    Bandit

    ReplyDelete
  6. You poor dear! I am naturally slim, but my companion Licoriec (may he rest in peace) had FSTS. Our humans put him on a diet - which resulted in me on a diet! It was the wordt 2 days of my life!

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org