Friday, March 23, 2018

Help - intruders.... I am having to defend the house.

Dear George,
I have been having troubles with a neighbour, who comes in through my cat flap and eats my food in the utility room at night. Worse still, he left a urine message in the kitchen.
Naturally, I over-marked this, to make it clear that the house is my core territory and I do not appreciate feline intruders. Particularly those who leave mark in my house.
This has happened several times and several times I have felt the need to remark my territory. Not just at the original site but also under the window where I can see him lurking on the wall.
My humans have started shouting at me, when they see me doing this!
Help. It's not my fault but they are blaming me.
Yours
Sebastian.

Dear Sebastian,
Your behaviour is right and natural. It is your humans who are in error. Their behaviour is grossly unfair. They simply do not understand the level of social insecurity which is making you mark. Indeed, they are so hopelessly scent blind they cannot even smell that there are two messages - one is the intruder's and one is yours.
What to do?
Somehow you have to purrsuade them to buy a microchip cat flap - as a start. So you will feel safe indoors. It will also help if they clean up properly - no disinfectant, just enzymatic washing liquid on every single site. Then a squirt of Feliway Classic daily for at least a month. There are more instructions here
It may be necessary for them to get help from a cat behaviour counsellor if they can't understand. This is a huge dilemma for you. I do hope they get help.
Yours 
George



6 comments:

  1. sebastian......dood.....we heer ya N compleet lee understand.....sorree de nayborz bee in......a naybor ~~~~~~~ ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is happening only at night why don't your humans lock the flap even more so since you stay inside to sleep?
    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything will work out in the long run Sebastian. Sometimes it's ok to be scared, and want to protect your territory. It is also ok to share so of your food with your other fur buddies. Have a good one.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow interesting! !!first i was read this article i was amaze,hope many readers you may help.. Goodluck!!

    Amazed at Maui Wedding Planners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, I'm imagining also that our pets is talking like us. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats in our house. And they bring joy and happiness to our family. And In return their unconditional love to them, we make sure that they always a regular visit to their exotic animal vet and they're all happy every time we're there.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org