Saturday, June 06, 2015

Hide and seek - but not in the washing machine.


Dear George,
My name is Kitty-Kitty-Puss-Puss and, of course I’m a rescue! My name? Ya, I know what you are thinking but I can assure you my human is quite normal!
Or I think she is! Or….maybe not? Actually….I’m writing to you seeking advice on a human behavioural pattern. You see, I’m an indoor cat and being young I easily get bored. I’m very playful so I’m quite creative. Of all games I most enjoy “hide & seek” but my human doesn’t get it. Each time I hide (as you can see in the picture attached) she panics and start frantically looking for me, calling my name and quite often starts making some very strange noises like she’s trying to speak “cat language” at a high pitch strange “meowing”. I would laugh out loud if laughing won’t give away my hiding place. All is good and fun until she suddenly becomes upset and starts crying implying that I intentionally upset her.
George, I know she means well and I love her very much but how do I tell her that all I want is playing with her?
Confused
Kitty-Kitty-Puss-Puss

Dear Kitty-Kitty-Puss-Puss,
If you are an indoor cat, it is an important part of your pet human's duties to play with you.  She should spent as much time as possible seeing to your recreational needs - fishing rod toys, throwing little balls of paper, chasing you (if you are the kind of cat that enjoys being chased), and so forth. 
Some humans use lazer light toys, but these can be addictive and frustrating to some cats. Personally I find them boring. Another idea is for your human to hide food so that you have to find it.
Hiding? Yes, it is fun for us. And it is particularly good fun to watch our humans wandering round the house calling and getting all wound up. Naturally if I ever hear the "vet" word, I go missing immediately and it is easy to fool my human. I emerge when I hear her on the phone cancelling the appointment admitting"He's gone missing."
But a word of warning. Hiding inside the washing machine is dangerous. Of course, your human should never leave the washing machine open if you are likely to go inside. But humans are irresponsible and forgetful animals.  So don't climb inside, just in case there is an accident. Just occasionally, rarely, a human will bung in the clothes without looking properly and a cat gets trapped in the washing cycle.
Yours helpfully,
George.
PS. There's some useful ideas on playing with indoor cats here.

3 comments:

  1. Good advice George! Yes, I like to hide in the washing machine - but, lucky me - we have one with horizontal loading and my humans are very careful.
    Kitty-Kitty-Puss-Puss....I love your name and I love the photo :-)
    Hugs
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb picture! Bravo!
    Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org