Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Purrs and Claws - what a kitten needs to know


Dear George,
I'm a 14 weeks old rescue and this Christmas I have adopted a family with a big house and two human kittens. My new family seems to be lots of fun; the human kittens are older than me; they go to university where they learn how to take care of me.
My human mommy must be an excellent mother as she keeps the house clean and neat and makes sure the food is always fresh! I dream of my first steak! Yummy! My new human daddy is a bit strange but, I'm sure he can be trained to become my loyal servant or so I think!
I was told that I'm a Blue Russian mix - photo attached! I know all cats are Royalty but don't you think that having "extra blue blood" makes me "extra royal"?
Definitely they sense I'm special! I'm allowed to sleep in any bed I want and I can run up and down the stairs as much as I want (which is such a relief after being in a cage for 3 months). George, I need some tips on house manners, how to behave so they will be happy with me! I'm a bit concerned since this is my first "forever home" and I'm their "first cat ever"! It is a first time experience for all! I've seen my daddy ordered a book on "how cats think" - yes, quite laughable as no human will figure us out but I told you he's nuts! Do you think this book will teach him how to obey my orders? Or how to feed me? Shouldn't he be getting one of your books instead? Today they were talking about new year's resolutions!
What is that?
Immensely grateful,
Leo-Liam 

Dear Leo-Liam,
Training a human is ridiculously easy. Most kittens do it automatically. The principles are that you reward behaviour that you want and you punish behaviour that you do not want. Rewards are purring, snuggling up close, rubbing your cheek against the human, and (if you fancy doing so) giving a little lick. Some cats enjoy grooming their human's hair too. Punishments are claws, teeth, disdainful ignoring and running away. 
What you have to remember is that humans are not clever enough to understand our body language. So you have to respond in an exaggerated way to make things clear to them. Both rewards and punishments must be administered as soon as possible (within seconds preferably). Humans vary in their reaction to punishment. For some a lofty look of disdain will make them cease whatever they are doing. Others need a sharp nip or even a hefty claw on their bare skin.
If you are having difficulty, purrchase a copy of 100 Hundred Ways for a Cat to Train its Human.
Happy New Year
George
PS. In an ideal world all humans would be adopted by rescue kittens. That would be my resolution for cat welfare this year.

5 comments:

  1. leo...conga ratz two ewe on findin yur new for evers home !!! way awesum !!! Merry Christmas...bee lated... everee one N heerz two a happee, healthee, 2015 ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Leo! It seems you have adopted the right family!
    Don't worry! You are a "natural" - they will bow down to you ...in no time :-)
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Highness...which half is the Russian one? It looks to me that you are half light blue and half brownish or is it only the picture? Just teasing you Leo! Congratulations on your new forever home! You look very alert and very cute! Everybody will love you! Don't worry about New Year's resolutions - these are human promises they never keep! Sleep, eat and be merry! Happy New Year to all!
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAT VictoriaDecember 31, 2014

    Finally....a little cousin! Leo...from Leopold, I assume?
    You are such a cutie! Very bright and cute!
    Many, many happy new years with your new housekeepers :-)))
    Hugs
    CAT Victoria (British Royalty)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 27, 2021

    Giving a compliment is the perfect way to show you care about someone, and it is a great way to express how much you appreciate another person. celebrity νεα

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org