Saturday, June 20, 2009

Brushing my teeth ... I don't think so!


Dear George,
The other night I heard my humans talking about “preventive dental care”. As I was trying to understand their point, I heard them mentioning “brushing”, “toothpaste”, solution, etc. Girrr! I’m pretty sure they were talking about me and my sister since they brush their teeth regularly and sometimes I even witness this disgusting human habit! We (Fluffy & I) are given some treats for “teeth health” on regular basis, plus we eat some “fresh/raw” meat twice a week. Don’t you think this is enough? Just…..out of curiosity; what is your advice regarding dental care? What do you do (or what other cats do) to maintain healthy gums & teeth? Wishing all cats healthy smiles & healthy teeth☺ Hugs Cayenne

Dear Cayenne,
They tried a toothbrush on me -- three times. First the vet, then Celia, then Celia once more. A huge piece of plastic wand with bristles attached which they put right into my mouth, pulling back my gums as they did so. In order to reach the teeth, they said. On top of the bristles was an agreeable paste tasting of malt, but that didn't make up for the way my mouth was being misused by these humans.
With the vet, I merely cowered in my basket looking helpless and afraid. That often rouses the mother in Celia and is enough to stop her. It didn't. Having bought the expensive kit from the vet, she went home and tried it on me. I wriggled and wriggled and when we cats wriggle we can be very difficult to hold. She tried a third time and it was enough. I bit her. Strong measures were called for and they worked.
Her methods then changed for the better. For a time, she used to give me about two square inches of thick ox heart. Very very tasty. A really good human idea. I adored it. True, the blood was messy on the kitchen floor as I tackled the business of trying to chew and eat. Alas, she stopped this on the ground she had to buy a whole ox heart and keep it in the freeze in slices and, moreover, it was difficult to get offal from the butcher in the first place.
Now she has settled for dental dried food. Till recently it was Hills prescription dental diet but I seem to have got an allergy to this and developed diarrhoea each time she gave it. I love it but it doesn't now love me. So instead she has changed brands to Royal Canin non prescription which claims to get rid of something like 57% of the tartar. I don't eat it all the time - just get given a small proportion as a treat. It meets with my approval
But the ox heart was by far the best. Try it, Cayenne, if you can persuade your human. We need good teeth to bite our humans when they step out of line!
Purr and rubs
George
PS. The vet inspects my teeth at vaccination time - important because dental resorptive lesions, tooth rot, are hell for cats. We move towards the food bowl, try a little food, then back off with the pain of it.

9 comments:

  1. Oscar Snuggles, King of TidewaterJune 21, 2009

    Good advice. I hope my human don't read this! Unforunately, I've lost a couple of teeth--fighting. There are advantages of getting old, I do get treats that are so difficult to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear George,
    We have a "big problem" in our household and that is..."our humans"!
    We are healthy kitties, with good teeth and good sense of humor (that saves both us and them):-)
    I don't understand why they worry so much and go to "preventive" health care when it is nothing to prevent in the first place!
    Not to tell you that I caught "our mommy" sneaking out the door taking back to the store a "cat dental care kit". Guess...she snooped around again and read your response to Cayenne's question.
    At least ....it was for a good cause and I can't thank you enough for your quick reply.
    She got back with some white powder called "Dental Treat" from Wysong (www.wysong.com). I was afraid that she'll force it on me.
    Guess what! It is very good and all you have to do is to eat it.
    It has a lot of good things in it and it is very yummy! We still get the hard/dry dental treats from same company (Wysong)...plus raw meat!
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. George, I don't think we can find here ox heart. Our humans are vegetarians, but willing to let us try any heart we want:-)
    The dental treat from Wysong is really good (both the powder and the dry biscuit). And I like the wild, organic salmon raw - it's like sushi without the rice!
    I've heard a lot of cats having problems with Hill Science. I told you that our humans attended a forum with Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins (www.yourdiabeticcat.com) and she worked for Hill Science company.
    Guess.....you can contact her directly even if she's not with the company any longer (she's very much against dry food).
    Hugs,
    Cayenne

    PS. How come that your secretary didn't tell us anything about the accupuncture conference? Is she back yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, nothing is better then a fresh caught mouse!
    Try it and you'll see how clean your teeth will be :-)
    Cheers
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try the stuff that tastes like chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey.....no one raises chickens on my street! I tried "baby birds" earlier this summer and now I get chased by their parents all the time. Scary!!!
    But....no "parents" of any mouse chased me so far....so, I'll stick to fresh mice :-)
    Hugs & kisses
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, my hooman brushes my teeth but i sortof like it. i think. she got me a special toothbrush that is similar to a baby toothbrush- a rubber thing that she puts on her finger and has soft bristles. i like it because its the one time i get to bite on my human. she isn't mean enough to put on toothpaste though. phew!! also she gives me dental health teeth treats- i love purina. i also have a couple of dental health toys that i can chew on while rubbing off plaque at the same time. too bad my hooman doesnt take this good of care of her own teeth--a dentist's dream that one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stella, try the dental treats from Wysong (www.wysong.com) - they are excellent!
    Lucky you - Paris! I love Paris :-)
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Human fingers are the perfect aids for feline dental care, the bones and sinews give teeth an excellent workout and the bones help knock off any plaque. They taste better than toothpaste too and are the ultimate in natural feline dental care.

    Kittens can start with human toes if they find fingers a little too big to manage.

    Happy crunching

    Wicked Wuudler

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org