Friday, June 28, 2024

How to be nice to the vet ...



Vets? I hate them, like most cats. But I have learned not to show it. You can make a vet like you, if you try hard.

Fergus is a cat whose life was saved because the vets thought he was cute. He was handed in as a skinny elderly stray, and would have been put down.

But he purred loudly at the vet. He rubbed against the vet's hands. He walked off off the vet table and sat on the keyboard of the vet's keyboard.

"He's so cute and loving," thought the female vet. So she rang the local cat charity and asked them if they would fund treatment for him, not euthanasia.

Fergus had a blood test which showed he was healthy. His teeth were awful - one reason why he was so skinny. It hurt to eat. These were treated and the charity took him on.

After three months with a fosterer - and lots of regular meals - he found his forever home.

So.. it might be worth being nice to the vet! Fergus charmed the vet into giving him a second chance.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, such a nice, touchy story—almost like watching a love movie! I wish I could be like Fergus, but I definitely and irremediably hate vets or going to any! My first visit to a vet, after I had been rescued, required the strength of four people to hold me for a blood test (the vet and my mom included). In the end, they had to sedate me! Oh boy, and my annual checkup comes up soon! Dreadful! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm! I am too young to know if I like the vet or not, but I think I have seen one! I don't remember much other than that he gave me treats! I think I was snipped at that visit! Anesthesia? It can't be amnesia!

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org