Saturday, January 21, 2017

What's in a name? Naming cats....


Dear George, 
My name is Kriketel. You might ask what name is this. To tell you the truth I have no idea. All I know is that I was rescued from a pound on a Christmas day when I was only four week old. I live with two other cats, Minky and Didi. They weren’t too enthusiastic about me joining the family two years ago but I’m happy! I have a lovely Mom and a lovely home. Still… I wonder why was I named Kriketel? 
Not that I don’t like it but what if I want to change it? What cats do if they don’t like their names? How do we tell our humans? Based on what rules are we named? I watched a video about a black leopard who was unhappy with his name and after “talking” with an animal communicator (Anna Breytenbach) was renamed Spirit! But not all of us has access to an animal communicator! So what do we do? Again, how do we tell our humans? And, actually what’s in a name, George?
Yours,
Kriketel

Dear Kriketel,
Your name is both enigmatic and sophisticated. We cats are enigmatic sophisti-cats. Spare a thought for those poor felines who are called names like Flirtybottom (yes I knew one), Fluffytail, or Paddypaws, or even Sweetiepops (an unfortunate name given to a dignified kitten by my pet Celia who should know better). None of those names have the dignified ring that your name has.
Josephine lives in Spain
Here in the UK cats often have names like Gismo, Speedy, or Ziggy suggesting a lack of obedience (we cats don't do obedience). Or place names like Winchester or Mr Woodstock. Or just nice human female names like Jospephine or Lily or manly names like mine, George, Sam or Burt. Tibbles is a traditional name that goes back to the medieval ages, when an epic poem about animals had Bruin the bear, Reynard the Fox and Thibault the cat! 
Our names say more about our pet humans than about us, but I think Kriketel is a great name and you should stick to it!
Yours
George 
Here's a photo of Josephine.

7 comments:

  1. I love your name! It has a very "giggling" tone :-)
    I love my name as well....it means "lion" (Mummy was born in Zimbabwe)
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cat who lives with me is called Drusilla. She seems to like her name and it is flexible in that it can be shortened e.g. Druser, Dru. It should probably be a crime to give a cat an embarrassingly twee name - these things matter. Kriketel is rather lovely, we think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right! What's in a name? Mine is Tool Box :-(
    Should I complain about my human? I should and could but I know he loves me very much so I won't say anything!
    Tool Box

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, some people have better imagination (or wilder) than others!
    I'm glad my human went to Vegas and not to Black Creek Village :-)
    Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Tiki. My human doesn't know why I was named, I was adopted at 7 and answered to it so she thought I should probably keep it. Ghost cat who lived here before me also came with her name, Ginny, at 13. Humans says if cats answer to names they must think they're okay. I quite like Tiki so I let human see I know it's my name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carla, the tuxedo catJanuary 25, 2017

    Humans should be very mindful when naming cats, dogs ...even their children! Each name has a specific energy, a specific vibration/frequency and the "carrier" of that name will resonate with that energy! Imagine if the name has a negative notation/meaning? Of course we'll feel it and we'll completely dislike it as it is affecting us at a very deep level!
    Carla, the tuxedo cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kriketel... sounds like crickets or crooked tail... Me will thinks of Crickets.
    Kriketel sure am purrtee. -Katie Kitty Too.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org