Saturday, January 18, 2014

Lil BuB and why special needs cats should be adopted.


Dear George,
You are such a fine expert in human behaviour but I need your expertise on a very personal problem right now. Look at me (photo on left). No, nothing it’s cooking in the microwave…..but something it’s cooking inside me and I simply don’t know what to do. I have the blues! Some sort of blues! I think I’m in love.
The other day I came across a website that read: www.lilbub.com  I opened the page and there was this beautiful cat, Lil Bub, with such a pretty face.
Her story is so touching, so beautiful, so inspiring! She is a rescue and she is lucky to have this special and kind human attending to her needs. I think he takes good care of her otherwise she won’t look so happy. She is very famous which makes me nervous.
No, I’m not jealous of her fame but I’m afraid that being so busy…she won’t have time to notice me. I would really love to spend time with her.
I don’t know what to do. Do you think I’m in love? Is this love?
Freddy.

Dear Freddy,
I hadn't heard of Lil Bub so I looked her up on Wikipedia and found that she has a congenital condition called osteopetrosis, which means her bones don't grow properly so she is small with stumpy legs and a short lower jaw leaving her tongue hanging out. There is one of many videos here. She uses her internet fame to promote good causes - rescuing and adopting unwanted cats and neutering and spaying.
Is this love that you feel? I am not sure, Freddy. Sometimes I am not sure I even know what love is since that operation which deprived me of my tomhood. Compassion, in its best sense, yes definitely. 
If we can teach our human pets this compassion, then many more may go out and adopt a special needs feline. If every compassionate human gave a home to a rescue cat, the world would be a better place. For them, as well as us.
Yours 
George, Cats Protection Rescue Cat.
Of all the internet cats, my favourite is Henri, the cat with existentialist gloom. I identify with him so much when my human is being tiresome. Which is frequently.


6 comments:

  1. Yup, could be compassion.
    Lil Bub certainly is very cute.
    We think you are pretty handsome Freddy ;)
    We liked Henri too :)
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure,JJ
    and Angels Tiger and Tillie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice and touching story!
    Thank you Freddy and thank you George for your compassionate and wise advice.
    Love
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be compassion or love. Our Mom loves us and we are all FeLV+ cats here, so Mom follows your advice times six.

    Spyro and the Gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog George. So inspiring! Each time I read a story posted on it I make sure my mom reads it too (see, I got the smarts from your wise advice over the years) so, she won't even realize that I'm educating her :-)
    Love
    Thea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's both compassion and love! Lil BuB is soooo cute; who wouldn't love her? I know my mummy came across another site about some cats that are born with a neurological/genetic problem - they can't use their rear legs and drag themselves around. They are not in pain or don't feel pain and can live a decent life if adopted, loved and taken care of. I watched a video about a couple from US who adopted three cats with this problem. They (husband and wife)were taking turns at changing diapers, playing and cuddling with the cats. Heartbreaking but with an happy ending.
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  6. George, I simply love your blog;
    so much to learn! I love you guys!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org