Saturday, June 22, 2013

I LOVE my strawberries....

Dear George,
I just LOVE strawberries (as you can see in the photos) but my humans won’t let me have any. And I want to understand why?
I love catnip and they let me eat as much as I like. So, why can I eat one freely and not the other? I tried to convince them that eating strawberries, it’s safe but they won’t listen to me.
I even made them watch a video showing a tabby eating a piece of strawberry. It seems that nothing can convince them. Maybe you’ll be able to give some advice as they snoop around and read your blog.
Very frustrated
Fluffy

Dear Fluffy,
It's the smell, isn't it? Does something for me too. I draw in a big breath through my nose right into that extra nasal organ that the smell-blind humans don't have. And then there's a feeling like, well, ecstacy....  Humans seem to get this sniffing recreational drugs. Then they get addicted to it. I just sniff the berries and move away when I have had enough. Like catnip. I use it but (unlike humans) don't abuse it.
I am a recreational user of all sorts of smells - pears, nail varnish, olives, Vick vapour rub, bog beans and valerian in the garden. Some cats go further and eat their catnip and some of these other things. I don't. As I see it, I sniff and go. If I ate it, I might to myself some harm or (in the case of strawberries) just get a stomach upset. They are not on any of the list of poisonous plants but eating more than a tiny nibble just might give you the runs.
We cats are moderate in our use of drugs, whether sniffing or eating. Another sign of innate feline superiority. Humans are often not. Ever seen your humans with a hangover? Mine used to suffer badly from these until I purrsuaded her to give up alcohol. 
So sniff but don't eat, Fluffy.
Love George

5 comments:

  1. Hey Fluff...guess....vegetarian like mommy?
    I wouldn't give a mouse on a strawberry :-)
    Hugs
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee does it for me! I love to lick my mummy's cup of coffee. She said it's bad for me....but I just love it. And the smell of it? Thrilling!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are we talking drugs or food? I'm addicted to treats! Like to sniff some catnip here and there too:-)
    Love
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAT VictoriaJune 23, 2013

    Excellent advice George, as usual!
    Very sensible! You are such an intelligent, handsome and gentlecat! Wish your secretary aims to reach your purrfection!
    Kisses & hugs
    CAT Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. George is right about sniffing being the best way with strawberries, they get very messy when you chew 'em up. The smell is amazing, our ape likes to sniff strawberries

    Gerry & Mungo

    PS: You looks so happy nuzzling those berries!

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org