Saturday, March 17, 2012

The window at the bottom of the door....purrlease


Dear George
I know you recognise the difficulties I have been having with staff. (You may not be royal like me, but all cats are noble, n’est-ce pas?)
I’m afraid I have another problem. My human hostess seems to expect me to come and go through a window in the bottom of the door. She says it would be just like having my own key. Well George, I ask you, does HM Queen carry a key? No, she has a footman to open the door for her, and that is what I expect.
There is a teenager who lives here who is always rattling in and out of this window. Well really, he might be a burglar! I find it most disturbing, clatter wallop. And he looks most ungainly as he exits – really, I have no wish to display my posterior in such a manner. The hostess has tried to bribe me with food to use this window, but I have let her know that I shall just politely wait until the door is opened properly. There is a man here who could perfectly well act as footman – I know my hostess has encouraged him to learn from Downton, but he just fell asleep.
I am sure I am not alone in having this preference, George – as my special friend, do tell me what you think.
Yours affectionately
Natasha

Dear Natasha,
Opening doors as a footman or cat commissionaire is an essential part of a human's duty towards its cat. As you say, it is a question of class (cats are upper, humans are lower) or species status (cats are superior life forms; humans are inferior life forms).
Door keeping by a human is particularly important for those moments when we want to sit near the door frame and sniff the air, in order to decide whether we will go out or not. A good footman will wait for ten minutes while we make our decision.
This is a question of human training. The first problem is getting your would-be footman's attention. Homo sapiens (don't make me laugh) have flibbertigibbet minds, unable to concentrate on one thing, their duty to a superior species. They keep going off and wasting time with a plastic mouse and a screen. Or cooking. I have nothing against human cooking (handy for bits of chicken and so forth) but I don't want a human that cooks instead of keeping an eye out on the cat flap, or "the window at the bottom of the door" as you so correctly term it.
The trick is never ever to come through the cat flap when the human can see you doing it. Once they have seen you can manage this cat flap, they will feel empowered to keep you waiting outside. So do not use it. This refusal may involve waiting in the rain but purrsist. Wide-open mouth mewing and a pathetic look will help them recognise their duty to let you in. Finally, if they have made you wait, crawl in loudly mewing and shaking yourself as if shivering with cold. (In the unlikely event of UK hot weather, collapse on the kitchen floor panting.)
What is the basis of this training? It is Making Guilt Work. Guilt is a specifically human emotion, which makes humans feel uncomfortable on behalf of a victim. We cats don't do guilt but luckily for us, humans do. So, the aim is to wait outside looking unhappy in order to stir up this guilt emotion in your staff.
Purrsistency will win this one, Natasha.
Affectionately,
George
PS. When they are out you can come and go through the cat flap as you please, of course.
PPS. More cat photos for feline oscars next week.



6 comments:

  1. Hey everybody! I can join in the cat flap game too. If you check out Celia's "other animal" blog and click on "Can my rabbit use a clat flap" you will see me watching television and find Celia's advice for buns.
    I would never use a cat flap even if I ever wanted to go outside. Which I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made my day..evening and perhaps the whole of next week with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Train that human kitten to go out and come back based on your schedule.
    Usually the human kittens are easier to train and they will find this entertaining. I trained mine and now ...we both have an excellent time!
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAT VictoriaMarch 22, 2012

    Just between us, royals....I agree with you Natasha! Humans just don't get it. Can you imagine I had to play games & tricks with mine, scare them hiding at night until they both held that door wide open for me?
    CAT Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natasha, you might be royalty but you have a couple of nuts as your humble servants. I don't mean to offend anybody....but, do they know that a window is ALWAYS higher up? How can they have a window for you at the bottom of a door? Are they standing on their heads or what?
    Just ignore that window and ignore them too unless they start behaving normally!
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir WinstonMarch 22, 2012

    Well, Natasha you should think twice before you turn down their offer. A cat flap or window as you call it has some advantages to it! Just think of the independence you get to go in and out as you wish :-)
    If you feel you need someone to hold a door for you....practice with the doors inside!
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org