Friday, July 23, 2010

My nose is running and I am sneezing - is it a summer cold?

Dear George,
Can cats catch colds in the summertime? For the last two years I have developed some kind of strange "cold" symptoms in July. My Mom takes me to the vet and each time he gives my antibiotics. I hate going to the vet and I hate taking antibiotics.
Last year I had fever for about two days and my nose was running and I was sneezing a lot. This year it was just a runny nose. And in about a week or so everything was back to normal.
The only good thing about being sick is that I get pampered even more than usual (as you can see form my photo). But, if it was a cold, wouldn'tmy brother get sick too? Could it be allergies instead of a cold?
I usually go hunting in a ravine behind our house where my brother doesn't go. What do you think?
Love Minnie.

Dear Minnie,
I am not a feline veterinary expert but I have done some research for you on your symptoms. Without looking at your veterinary notes, I can only guess that your vet is treating you for an outbreak of cat flu, by giving you antibiotics to ward off secondary bacterial infections. These can be serious for cats who get cat flu. Take a look at www.fabcats.org for full details. This is generally labelled upper respiratory disease.
Regular vaccinations, which I assume you have had, should protect against the two kinds of 'flu, feline herpesvirus and feline parvovirus, but (like human flu vaccinations) cats can still get a milder form of the disease. Symptoms include sneezing and runny nose. Sometimes, cats have had 'flu in the past. Breeders may not reveal the fact they have had this disease and shelters may take in diseased kittens who then recover. The cats have apparently recovered. However, they are symptomless carriers but the symptoms may recurr if they are under stress. Tests for this are available.
However, cats can suffer allergies and the most common ones are flea allergies and food intolerance, which show themselves in an itchy skin. There is also something called feline allergic airway disease - these symptoms are coughing, wheezing and breathing difficulties. The only way this can be diagnosed is by eliminating the possibility of other disease, including cat 'flu. More tests, I am afraid. This is often labelled lower respiratory disease.
As well as the www.fabcats.org details, there is even more on this written by an expert on this, a vet called Danielle Gunn-Moore. You can find three long articles by her on a feline asthma website - www.felineasthma.org They need careful reading. The fact that your brother doesn't catch the symptoms from you suggests an allergy is at least a possibility. Maybe you are coming across something in the ravine which gives you an allergic reaction - but you can't assume this safely without the tests. This website will take you through the process.
All this is a rather bad news for you, Minnie. It all seems to involve much more contact with the vet and we cats hate all vets, even those like Danielle who love us. I always bite the vet, when I can get in a quick nip - just to make the point that what is going on is an assault on my personal freedom! Incidentally, there's a lot of controversy on how often we should be vaccinated - the UK and USA differ on this. What is important is that if your owner opts for less frequent vaccinations she should make sure she gets the right brand of vaccination - I am not sure if the three-year type is available in the UK.
Yours gloomily when I think of vets,
George.

PS. Do I detect a certain embonpoint around the tummy? Next week I will be discussing STS, or Saggy Tummy Syndrome in both humans and cats.

7 comments:

  1. Do you think it could be the A/C in your house?
    I know I don't like it in our house and my mommy doesn't like it either....but it is just too hot these days not to have it "on"!
    Hope you'll feel better soon.
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  2. SebastianJuly 25, 2010

    Minnie, you look HOT!
    but, please get well soon!
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about the "cat flu" vaccine that one needs it every 3-5 years! It doesn't make you immune but it's making your immune system stronger!
    I wonder if indoor cats really need it every so often! or ....may be my sister, Cayenne, is right and indoor cats need it because of the A/C system in the house - which I personally thinks it's nuts!
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ola! I'm worried because I show same "cold-like" symptoms like Minnie and the A/C in our house is blasting and I go hunting on a ravine too):-)
    What this can be? Allergy or a cold?
    Hm! Any other opinions?
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Sweet Pea kitty used to have this problem every summer. She was really really sick requiring a trip to the EO, but we learned to head this off with some OTC meds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Sweet Pea kitty (Oscar Snuggles' sister) used to get a "cold" during the summer. I think it might have been allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We occasionally get a "cold" winter or summer, just now and again. It will only last for 3 days with each of us, a bit of sneezing and clear snot, then it's gone. Oliver usually gets it first, then Gerry, then me. I think it's our germ ridden apes bringing home zoonotic bugs - yuk.

    Whicky Wuuuuuuuuuudler

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org