Saturday, November 14, 2009

Scraaatch - the way to get attention from these humans

Dear George,
I wish to pass on a good way to get attention from these absent minded humans. I expect, like me, you get irritated by their inability to
concentrate on what really matters - me, my food bowl, my sleeping places and my need for fun. Too often they will spend their time selfishly doing things for themselves - eating (better food often), sleeping, watching TV or even going out shopping without bringing back Whiskers. So get their attention fast - choose an antique chair, look at them, and then while you have that nano second of their attention, scraaaatch.
Love Jaffa

Dear Jaffa,
I can see that you have it down to a fine art. I particularly
admire the use of the left front paw, holding it up as a asign to "collect" their attention, rather in the way a conductor holds his baton just before the orchestra starts with the music. Then the quick swivel round and the double scratch downwards. That shiny covering material - is it brocade? - must have been expensive. All the better to make your mark.
Other good places to leave the sign of the velvet claw include the side of the bed - this is often upholstered with a satisfactory cushion effect. A few downward strokes help wake them up in the morning like a speaking clock. "At the third scratch, it will be 6 am. At the next s
cratch it will be 6.03am." Makes a change from biting their toes under the duvet.
Scratching also has its place in the garden, particulary the rockery. For years dogs have marked and killed small focus conifers planted on rockeries. We can do our part too in improving their garden design either with claw or spray.
Have you tried scratching the carpet? I know that it is rather boring to have to do a horizontal rather than a vertical scratch, but it becomes quite pleasureable once you have broken down the carpet so that the strong hession backing is showing. Masterful horizontal scratches near doors will stop them ever shutting you out again. "We can't shut him out - he just ruins the carpet."
Finally, don't forget curtains. Some cat-wary humans don't have curtains down to the floor, because they know what will happen. Others, in a spirit of optimism and folly, buy long expensive brocade or velvet ones that sweep downwards. Not only are these delightful for kittens doing climbing exercises, but they also have good adult cat potential for scratching.
Let them have it, Jaffa.
Love George

PS. Sign the Canadian petition against declawing at www.petitiononline.com/bandec/petition.html
PPS. Rabbits do it too. Here is a photo of Harvey - read his remarks in Comments below

6 comments:

  1. What stylish claw action from handsome Jaffa! Apes are so relentlessly thick. If they "gave" us a piece or two of fine furniture to rip to shreds, then they'd have nothing to gripe about, as the furniture wouldn't be theirs. Great garden advice George - we use the bird table post as a main garden scratch post.

    My ape signed the Canadian petition. Declawing must be stopped everywhere!

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jaffa,

    Speaking of declawing, I would like to offer some alternatives for shredding expensive furniture that can be employed effectively by we unfortunate cats who have been declawed in our past lives. When my human has the nerve to leave the house in the evening to go someplace (and she never brings food back from her dinner, either), I wait until she has laid out her best going out outfit, and I wallow all over it, making sure to get as much fur as possible on it, so that while she is out trying to impress whomever, her clothing is all fuzzy. I have refined this art so that I do it in the last few minutes before she has to dress so she can leave. While she is out, therefore, she is constantly reminded of what her real place is: at home serving me. I may not be able to shred anything, but I can leave my mark anyway. Disability is not incompetence!

    I made her sign the petition, too.

    Sincerely,
    Puss-Puss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certaily glad I have a human that would NEVER declaw me or any other cat! I have tried the old scratching the furniture trick, but every time I do it I end up getting the squirt bottle right in the butt. It's just not worth scratching the furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We signed the petition too.
    Cayenne

    PS. Oh! By the way! We save the furniture; we shred the rugs :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pernonally Jaffa, I like French silk,full length,hand printed curtains to scrabble and nibble.Always go for the best. You get more attention that way. Keep going with the antique chair. It will fringe nicely.
    Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to scrabble carpets and remove wall paper. That usually gets their attention unless they are on the phone when I can achieve my best results and the best delayed reactions.


    Happy scratchings
    Lennie

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org