Saturday, July 04, 2009

Outrageous human behaviour - screams over mice


Dear George,
Do you know of any books, something like “Understanding your cat for dummies”?
If you do, please let me know. If such book doesn’t exist yet, please write one; my “parents” can be such an inspiration ☺ They are DUMMIES!!!!!!!
Last Sunday I was expecting to have breakfast with my mom when she, instead of making breakfast, picked up the phone and started talking with a friend!
So, I waited (quietly) for her to finish her phone call. After about 30 minutes staring at her, I said to myself; “fine, let’s help her with breakfast”. That’s when I brought in the first mouse (quite dead) which I deposited at her feet.
She didn’t even blink. I could not believe this; usually she freaks!
So, I waited for a sign from her! Nothing! She was still on that damn phone talking and talking and talking! I couldn’t take this any longer, so….I went out and got the second mouse (alive, but dizzy) that I deposited at her feet. She still didn’t blink! I tried to tell her…”hey, mommy….breakfast is served”! But, no response from her.
So…I started “eating” my breakfast alone! That’s when they both jumped, screaming and yelling and scaring the hell out of me! WHAT’S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE who call themselves “my parents”? He grabbed my mouse and threw it away!
Now, tell me George, what parent would take the food from their kid’s mouth and threw it away? See what I mean? You tell me what I should do now!
With lots of love …but …speechless, Minnie

Dear Minnie,
Humans ARE dummies. All cats over the age of eight weeks (old enough to understand humans) agree with your assessment. There's something seriously wrong in their attitude, particularly their attitude when we are kind enough to bring in mice for them. Do they tuck in and thank us? Do they praise us for our keen hunting skills? Do they gather round to admire us as we eat them? NO. NO. NO.
It is particularly painful for us when they just don't notice. Phones seem to do that to humans. They place these items (which can occasionally make interesting squeaking noises) near their ears and they vocalise repeatedly and meaninglessly into them. Very odd, very dysfunctional, behaviour. I personally have tried to take part in this, pushing my nose between phone and cheek, and received some very unpleasant human brushing off behaviour. It's some kind of sterotypic behaviour, compulsive and out of their control.
As for the screaming at mice... that can be more fun for us. Humans that jump up on chairs to avoid living mice are at least noticing us. I quite enjoyed Celia's frantic attempts to catch living mice, using a Wellington boot. The other day she had to try and catch a small wren nestling which (because wrens hide in small places like dry stone walls) flew into the corner of book cases etc rather than flying towards a window. It took her two hours to catch it in a dishcloth and liberate it. It had taken me a mere five minutes to grab it in the first place.
But, as you say, the principle is outrageous. They STEAL our mice. Without shame or second thoughts. Humans, why do we love them? Sometimes I don't know if I do.
Love George.
PS. Celia has just finished a book titled Cats Behaving Badly and Why we Still love them. I am busy writing the synopsis for a Cats' Guide to Humans so as to have my say.
PPS. Lovely tummy!

9 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July! Wishing you and those you ♥ a safe day filled with fun.

    Please remember our deployed troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. LET FREEDOM RING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my humans trained quite well. They certainly aren't dummies. If I want breakfast and they don't get up promptly, I just walk on their heads, works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear George,
    Thanks for the compliment!
    I stay "fit" through hunting :-)
    Love
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Oscar,
    My humans are not dummies either when it comes to obey my commends!
    I trained them well!
    Just that they don't want to share with me what I'm hunting; they don't want to eat the prey with me - that's why I said they are dummies :-) Instead of us...sharing a mouse or snake or whatever is the catch of the day...they jump and scream and "liberate" that thing (if is still alive) or dispose of the body (if the thing is dead).
    Love
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you read my post....Of Men and Mice? We (Cayenne and I) tried to train our humans to hunt....mice!!!
    What do you think? Did we succeed? NO! HUMANS are HOPELESS!
    Learn your lesson and enjoy it alone;
    don't share the experience or the joy with your humans. It's a waste of time :-)
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  6. CELIA WRITING A BOOOOK....ABOUT BAD CATS? WHAT'S GOING ON?
    George....that can't be true!
    Isn't enough that SHE signed all of your books? And ...now...you're writing another one? What if she'll sign this one too?
    I mean...I love to read (especially your books)...but you have to take care of this little problem! I love your books and I really thought she loves you and she's your loyal secretary....but, please, you can't let her sneak around and get the praise for your hard work!
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    PS. Or...did I misunderstand your post? As we were celebrating our birthday....may be I had tooooo much champagne? Well...we'll see!
    A bientot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sir WinstonJuly 08, 2009

    Humans hunting...or sharing with us whatever we catch (they are unable to catch anything ...anyway)?
    I must say....I had a good laugh!
    My male human can't even kill a fly!
    We'll be STARVING if it's to wait for him to bring us dinner!
    I just spent five days at the cottage with him! ha!ha!ha!
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  8. SebastianJuly 08, 2009

    Between dogs and humans? I think they are something like.... "dumb and dumber" - perfect match!
    I ignore both!
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apes scream. They cannot help it and without some hardcore training continue to scream, jabber and generally make a racket about the slightest thing.

    When we catch mice we are being cats, some apes have lost sight of the fact that we are cats and do cat things.

    I have trained our tragic simians to praise us mightily whenever we catch live prey. I did this using the technique of "flooding" where we cats bring in so many corpses, half dead and fully alive prey animals that the apes just get used to it.

    W. Wuudler esq.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org