Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Strange food enjoyed by cats.



   Dear George
On the food issue. I have my preferences. My humans give me sardines packed in water from time to time. They HATE the smell but I LOVE it. I just don't like the spine so I leave it. My human doesn't like fish but was going to try the cat fish because they were processed and packed in the US. She just couldn't get over the fact they are scavenger fish so I got them and here is a photo to prove it! I also like salmon. I also eat scrambled eggs and I especially like baby rabbits. What are your food preferences?
    Oscar King of Tidewater (http:simpleandsouthern.blogspot.com)

I love the photo, Oscar. Glad to see you have pushed the humans out of the bed altogether. Make them sleep on the bottom near your toes! That's what they do to us.
As for food, I like a change. Give me a different kind of cat food and I will eat it with relish just because it is new. Give me the same kind of cat food which I have been eating for days and I will eat it - but not so much. Those cunning people at Waltham foods and Iams know that, which is why they make cat food in different flavours. The more we eat, the better their business.
But back to favourites. Simpkin used to eat the end of asparagus tips. Fat Ada liked the batter on fish and chips better than the fish inside it. William refuses to eat human food at all but is balmy for the large sized Science diet kibble given on prescription for cats with bad teeth. He will also eat wet wholemeal bread put out for the birds -- something he would turn his nose up at if offered in his cat bowl. 
Skink, a rescue cat from Cyprus, used to lick the toothpaste out of the mouth of his owners - and they sent a photo to prove it. This has to be the oddest food preference ever. Probably not a good idea but then why should we cats listen to human opinions on this or any other matter?
Jellied eels is what used to help Castle and used to turn on Furry Fighter (http://thefurryfighter.blogspot.com - but be prepared for tears) . Her human has pointed out the wonderful news for cat that there is now REAL DRIED MICE! Just go to http://www.petextras.com/pofdmo21gr.html Rejoice, rejoice you cats. George of the crew (http://crewsviews.blogspot.com) has offered the mice in his basement for any needy cats. Who says that cats are not altruistic! Please add your comments, all you cats out there. 
 George
PS. I am horribly ignored by Celia back from college working obsessively on an essay about r and K selection. She would going to feature the lifestyle of feral cats but they are fed up with her cat obsession at college and say she will have to write about something else. So she is doing the rabbit - I approve though my own interests are more gastronomic than ecological when it comes to bunnies.

10 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 19, 2008

    Patti used to like a sultana or the odd bit of date or a pecan nut. Cake also went down very well if unguarded. When she was a kitten she would kill for a marshmallow. Lozwick adored broad beans and sweet corn. Tozz delighted in a digestive biscuit, preferably, swiftly dunked in tea.
    As ex-feral kittens, they (& Angel who is still about at 18)demolished a huge raspberry tart, including the pastry in preference to the special kitten food - apparently our human was delighted clearing up after that last one. Personally, I would happily die if I could die whilst eating scampi, especially the chemical covered, yummy, crispy crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ize like toofpaste on mawmeez lips. Ize licks it off fur hur.
    -Daisy May

    Sandy Red Tigger - now over da brij - liked blak olives.

    weze also likes patatoh chips...

    Luv, us
    Katie Too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, Sammy Meezer, like corn husks, squash stems, oat grass (ok, lots of cats like that), broccoli, zuchinni.

    Billy SweetFeets Gingersnap likes to eat, um, pretty much anything.

    Miles Meezer likes HAM. and Chick-hen. And hot wings. and vicks vapo rub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I like Cheese Its. Beg like a dog and if I don't get them, I get in the face like a cat until I do. nom nom nom

    Real dried mice??? I'm so there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like peanut butter. Mom buys the crunchy kind and if I'm lucky, I get a peanut!

    Your friend
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 21, 2008

    Well, I'm certainly honored to be the feature. I do love the salmon my human gives me. It's always grilled outside on the gas grill. Yum. My humans tell me she used to have a cat, Buster, who was around only a short time before I arrived, loved corn, greenbeans and mayonnaise. I don' get it, a CAT eating those things, especially the mayo. My human is going to e-mail your human photos of some REAL catfish our neighbor caught today fishing. My humans went fishing, but no catfish. They didn't even bring their fish home! Very inconsiderate of my desire for fresh fish!

    OH YES! I have relocated my human, I've taken over her side of the bed, she retreats to the sofa, so I've moved her completely off MY bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm certainly glad to see you have posted photos of real catfish. They are considered "good eatin'" here in Georgia. It's a southern thing. However, MY human won't eat them, she says they are scavengers and she says they taste fishy. Yum, that's what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I like meaty treats best - but I have been known to lick the lid of a tub of ice cream (Hagen Daas Bailey's being my favourite).

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love corn, kernel, husk, tassel - i love it all! i'll try to get it out of the grocery bag...

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow you have wrote an outstanding article. i must appreciate your effort in this regards
    Pet Food

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org