Thursday, April 05, 2007

Free at last.... just checking territory boundaries

We are free. No more prison. No more horrible strange Persians within a whisker of us, unnaturally close for comfort. No more Gill the Cattery. Regrettably, no more cooked coley at lunchtime. (How can I convey to Celia the idea that she should cook for us, not just open yet another tin.) The relief is enormous.
Getting back home required a lot of energy. I went right round my hunting territory boundaries, past the evergreens near the pond (useful for amphibian prey), up past the unused owl box (unused by owls but now home to some pigeon prey), along the side of the ploughed field past the Dutch barn where the brambles are (good for mousing), down the track towards the old piggery (also good for mousing) then up the other side of the hedge towards the rabbit holes (best of all, a lagomorph killing ground.). All the territorial smells I had left from chinning had gone. I renewed them. I left new scented scratchings on the apple tree and the plum tree and that bit of hedge near the rabbit holes. If you don't make your boundary marks, some other cat may take over your territory. William used to stop and spray at various points but he seems to have neglected to do this lately. So far I have not bothered to spray. Maybe as I get older I will start doing this. Spraying is a useful way of leaving "George was here" marks.
The first night back I slept very close to Celia all though the night, and woke her several times for a bit of cuddling. Not that I needed reassurance, you understand. Nothing of the kind. I am just trying to rebond her so she doesn't do that to me again. If a bit of cuddling up makes her feel guilty so much the better.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Gorgeous George and William
    I am so pleased to hear that you are home from "that place".
    You must work on Celia for your coley lunch - my servant Sue doesn't like the smell of coley so I have to make do with cod.
    Make sure Celia gets a few more sleepless nights to punish her for leaving you both - in fact if you both work in shifts you could keep her awake all night whilst still getting some of your beauty sleep.
    Regards
    Elegant Emma
    PS looking forward to reading some more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have been released! What on earth do the two of you do get end up in those horrible cells?

    I'll rescend my orders for calling out the guard and Martial Law.

    Did Celia allow you to sleep under the covers with her like my human? Oh you should try that, it's so toasty warm, and the soft pillow she has for my head, it's wonderful. It's turned cold here, again, so the warm snuggles under the cover is my favorite thing.

    Oscar Snuggles
    AKA: King of Tidewater
    Jonesboro, GA USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvellous blog! Being a portly ginger moglet I have been reading over my human's shoulder and am finding it purrfectly interesting. Great to know another hunter... birding season is approaching hurrah! I like to catch the baby blue tits as they make their first flight - very tasty but I like to leave the human the legs as proof that my bag of the day was impressive. Ideally leave this where your human will least expect it as their gasp of appreciation is wondrous! Happy hunting, best wishes Jaffa.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org