Saturday, September 22, 2012

She was trying to make me share my home with a street cat....

Dear George,
I am writing to you with an issue I have which has been tweaking at my conscience.
I appear to have ‘jealously' issues. Over the last 6 weeks there has been a stray cat hanging about outside my home, and every time my human opens the front door he runs over demanding her to fuss him and give him some food (MY food!!!!). He seems to get around her with his pitiful meow and big sorrowful eyes, and she gladly fusses him and feeds him daily. This sends me into a fit of jealous rage and I lean out of the bedroom window and hiss and spit at him furiously.
I know that I should feel sorry for him as he is without a home, is riddled with fleas and his coat is all matted and greasy and he has no one to love him…but I want my human to love ME ALONE, no-one else. I get into such a temper whenever I see my arch enemy, and my human bears the brunt of my fury too, as I nip and hiss at her whenever I know she has fussed him…so much so that she has taken the stray to Battersea Cat’s Home in order to find him a good home (and calm me down!).
Do you think I have a problem George? …Is my jealously out of control?
I look forward to your reply.
Yours guiltily, Sidney Baker
PS – I hope you can read my writing well enough, the crayon kept slipping through my claws.

Dear Sidney,
You do have a problem but it is of your human's making. You should not feel a moment's guilt. It is your human that should feel guilty. She has fallen into the trap of thinking that cats are as promiscuously social as dogs and some humans - though I dare say she would object as strongly as you have, it if you brought a homeless street person into her home. She is completely at fault.
Of course, you hissed and nipped when she walked into the home smelling of the intruder. What decent cat wouldn't! Smell is how we identify friends and foes. How would she feel if her boyfriend came home smelling of another woman? We, cats don't share with other cats unless they are relatives and not always even then.
You have done the right thing. You have expressed your feelings consistently and punished her when appropriate. That is what good human training is all about. Now reward her with purrs and rubs.
You are already generously letting her use your bed at night. Now snuggle up closer so she realises how lucky she is to have an exclusive one-to-one relationship with a cat as glamorous as you.
Yours approvingly
George

6 comments:

  1. Dear Sidney, we can only offer support to you, we think you made a wise decision not to allow a rival for your affection into your home, my brother Jozef and I feel the same, in fact we're not too keen on each other, in fact we're not even brothers we just pretend to accept that we are for our humans' sakes, sometimes we get along, sometimes we are frightened of each other, usually we are jealous of each other, we've never got around to deciding who's boss and we're both 11 now. So anyway Sidney, you did right to put your paw down firmly, we would have done the same. In fact we have done the same LOL. Be strong brother. From Walter and Jozef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAT VictoriaSeptember 29, 2012

    It happened to me too! I thought HE felt in love with me even if he was a stray, but ...all he wanted was my food. In the end WE ended up feeding him but he never wanted to live in with us (which was fine from my perspective)
    CAT Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, being myself a rescued cat I can definitely appreciate love & food & shelter. Find him a no-kill shelter and give the poor darling a chance.
    Love
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that I'm quite jealous of my sister Cayenne and she is my real sister, same litter :-)
    But, I love her in my own way and I love checking on her daily.
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sidney Baker....hm! You look a bit like Simon Baker (The Mentalist) - are you from Australia?
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  6. For once George we are going to disagree with you. Cats who aren't related can learn to love each other and live in harmony together. We all did, and so did all the cats who came before. It's all down to making sure that your apes have patience and allow newcomers a private space and a screen door so that we can all get used to new smells and still have our own fuuds. You have to train your apes to think like a cat, luckily our apes have problems even thinking like apes so that left some brain space for cat type thinking!

    Luff from
    Gerry & Mungo
    & Oliver at The Bridge :(

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org