Saturday, May 07, 2011

Kittens, kittens, kittens..... and the recession too.


Hi George.
I'm told you are a cat of knowledge and many friends so I thought I'd speak to you about my humans and their plight. You see they are part of a charity called Lincoln Cat Care that tries to find homes for cats and kittens that do not have human servants. But for some silly human reasons (something to do with money and financial climate I'm told) they have had a huge influx of cats and are really struggling to find homes and look after all us cats and kittens.
My story is a good example. I was what they call a “stray”. I call it free. But cold. And hungry! In my first season I met a big Tom and fell for his charms. Of course he cleared off and come the day when my kittens where due I was scared and didn't really know what to do. I went to the garden of a human who had been giving me and some others some food and had my kittens in the open in his yard on some bricks. That was Sunday 17 April. On the Monday a lovely human came to scoop us all up and take us to her home. She is now our willing servant, totally chained to the power of the meow!
She tells me that she is a new volunteer with Lincoln Cat Care and that I was very lucky as all their foster carers were full up when they heard about me and they would have had to turn me away if she hadn't come forward! Can you imagine that? I would never have found the joy of a good chin rub, and given my size and the fact that I really struggle to care for all four kittens I doubt if all of them would have made to to their two week birthday. A man she knows called Ed Cole is a pro DVD editor and camera man, he offered to put this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_pRK0sDEyw> film together to try to raise awareness of the cats just waiting for the right human to take them home, but now we need people to spread the word!If you search on You Tube for Lincoln Cat Care it's the first one.
Do you think any of your friends could get their humans to watch it and tell their friends? Obviously my kittens aren't up for adoption yet. But many other cats are! The website; http://www.lincolncatcare.com; has details of the majority, or you can call them.
Apparently my kittens have to go with me to something called a V E T. I've had my flea and worm treatment but they were to young, now they are old enough to get the V E T to do it, he's also going to check us all in case the human has missed anything. So I'd best be off to make sure the human gets them all in the basket, I don't know if she can count!
Thank you so much George,
Lots of love,
Sophia
(and, left to right, Gaynor, Oscar, Shackleton and Silent Bob)

Dear Sophia,
Your friend Ed Cole is just what we need at West Oxon Cats Protection, the charity which rescued me off the street in the first place. We are not yet swamped with kittens, but we have far too many older cats needing homes. The human recession is really making life tough for us cats. People are losing their homes and then discovering they can't find rented accomodation which will let them keep their family cat or dog. Other people, without veterinary insurance, are handing in their cats to us. Still others (humans are so cruel) are just dumping their cats on the street. Finally, there are the people who don't have the money to get their cats neutered or spayed and dump cats with kittens on the street. It is sickening.
Please, you cats out there, see if you can influence your humans to give some money to local cat charities. Money is the best thing. Volunteering is the next best thing. That is the single most helpful human gesture towards our species. Many of us cats have been badly let down by our humans: others are just unfortunate. If you look at our West Oxon website you will see elderly Duke, whose equally elderly human became so ill that she could no longer keep him.
My human, Celia, sometimes despairs of humans. But I pass on feline wisdom. "You can't do everything, but you can do something. So what you can do, do it." Let's flood YouTube, Facebook, and all the other networks with cats needing homes and with cat care videos. Get the message, you dumb humans.
Humans can count but with typical arrogance they think we can't. We can - up to about six or seven which is all the numbers any sensible animal (not humans) needs.
Love George
PS. Had a great deal of trouble getting my secretary, Celia, to type the words. She just drooled over the kitten photo. Babies leave her cold: but kittens....

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear Sophia,I don't think we can take any more sad news in this house at the moment. You see, I have lost all twelve of my ducklings. They were so happy playing in my garden then their mother took them away and they all died trying to follow her.
    I think cats are probably much better mothers than ducks. My babies didn't have very long in the world at all. Please think about them and maybe take a peep at them on my blog.
    Love to all baby animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is sad for so many animals. Harvey I'm sorry you lost your ducklings.
    Sophia, I have posted your video on my Facebook page, along with a link to Lincoln Cat Care. My ape is in love with Titch btw.
    I've also made the ape put a link up to West Oxon CP - Dukes page. He's a handsome lad.

    Everywhere there are so many wee ones, older ones all needing homes.

    Come on apes, spread the word about fostering, adopting and also spay/neuter!

    Whicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fluffy and CayenneMay 08, 2011

    Sophie, you are so beautiful and your kittens are so cute. You were lucky to find a kind human.
    We wish all cats have a safe and loving home.
    Our humans help lots of organizations related to animals' welfare. They are good human pets - they try to help however they can. But, isn't that ironic that instead of wishing freely "Happy Mother's Day".....we are even afraid of thinking of another litter and its fate?
    If only human could be kinder and have more compassion the world would be a better place.
    We wish you & your kittens find your forever home soon.
    Love
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fluffy and CayenneMay 08, 2011

    Harvey, we are so sorry for your loss!
    Indeed, very sad news!
    Love
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, babies will leave anybody cold!
    But kittens are special, very beautiful Look at Sophie's kittens! Adorable!
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophia Said....

    The kittens survived the vist to the vet, but I got sticked in the neck with something sharp! I'm told it'll stop me getting ill. The kittens are now giving it some with playing and learning to run around. I love how they keep the human awake all night!

    Thank you all so much for getting your humans to spread the word. Together we can make them do the right thing!

    Harvey, I feel for you. It must have been heart braking.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org