Saturday, May 17, 2014

How could my human refuse such a magnificent gift?

Dear George,
I finally achieved my ambition. I caught a rat all by myself. Previously I have picked up and carried rats that were originally caught by my companion Tilly. I hunted this one all by myself.
Look at the size of it! Twice as big as a mouse. I won't bore you with the full tail - how I heard it squeak, focussed all my attention on the shrubbery, stalked slowly and quietly up to it, and then pounced grabbing it by its bottom.
I bore it proudly out from the shrub, my head held high, my whole body quivering with joy, and decided to give it to my human. I was sure she would like it, as she ran and got a camera to photograph me and my rat. It was big enough for a whole human meal. She could have eaten it on toast like a grouse.
What happened next was a huge disappointment. As I strode towards her, she turned tail and ran into the house. Then she actually locked the cat flap against me.
How could she be so insensitive?
Toby.

Dear Toby,
For years I have campaigned to try to get across this message. Human Beings Refuse to Eat Mice or Rats.  We have all tried our best. We have brought in a wide variety of rodents, and there has been not a single case of human gratitude. Nor has it ever been recorded that a human seized the dead rodent, cooked and ate it. They just don't.
Birds are another matter. They eat birds frequently, mainly chickens but occasionally larger birds like turkey and goose. They even eat wild birds like pheasants and partridges and I am told that in France they eat blackbirds, after putting them in a pate.
Even so, almost all human refuse to eat the birds we bring in. I do know of one case, when I brought in a partridge, my own human shuddered but her sister seized it off me, wrung its neck, plucked it and took it home to eat. Now there is a human that knows what's what - even if I did lose my bird.
You will just have to learn to live with human ingratitude about rats. You cannot change human nature.
Yours
George.

7 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 17, 2014

    Dear George,
    My humans and I share lots of the same food so we don't have the rat and mice problem.We love all kinds of vegetables, rice crispies, cream crackers, bananas and other fruit. I have the fresh, new stuff and they make the floppy veg into soup for themselves. This is just as it should be. Because we share I don't bother to take food to them.It all works very well.
    Harvey the house rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humans are such hypocrites! Snubs too! I'm sure in some parts of the world humans eat rats too. Maybe a cat from that part of the world will confirm.
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere humans eat humans! Why would your human refuse a good, ripe rat?
    Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried giving our Mum a delicious looking mole for a treat once but she just screamed at us to take it away.
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 23, 2014

    Dat's sum vewy good advice. ☺

    Luv and Hugs and Kitty Kisses ♥♥♥

    Dezi

    ReplyDelete
  6. george...we just red yur awesum interview over at mousebreath...wanted ta stop by N say meowloz N nice two meet ewe....we troo lee enjoyed yur answers ta de questhunz pozed !!! happee week oh end...mouse on !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such odd creatures these. Amazing that we have even bothered to train them at all

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org