Saturday, February 09, 2013

Cat beds - our ideas of what makes a good one.

Dear George,
I don’t want to take too much of your time but I have one question or maybe two.  You know that I’m a very spoiled kitty. However, I trained my humans surprisingly well for a young, little rescue that I’m.  For example: they let me taste the water they drink (directly from their glasses), food they eat and when they are playing cards …..I have a special chair so I can sit and watch them playing. When it comes to sleeping arrangements….I usually sleep on my mommy’s chest until she’s sound at sleep and then …..I slide down slowly between them. Well, lately they gifted me with so many cat beds (as in the photos) that I don’t know what to think. I have a bed in every single room of the house including kitchen. As I find this a bit strange, my question to you is: what could they be up to that they do not want me in the bed between them at night or are they trying to show me with respect that I’m the Alpha cat and run the show? Should I accommodate?
Yours truly but ….a bit confused
Zoe

Dear Zoe, 
Your humans are doing the right thing. We cats cannot have too many beds - their idea of beds and our idea of beds. Their idea of a cat bed is like the one in the photo. Warm cosy, with nice soft material and high sides so that it avoids drafts. But your dratted humans, I see, have put it on the floor. The ideal cat bed is sited a bit higher up. We like to look down rather than up at our pet humans.
Our idea of cat beds is, of course, rather more diverse than theirs. The following are cat beds: the double beds which we allow our humans to share; any other large beds in the house; sofas; armchairs; piles of dirty laundry; piles of clean laundry, preferably in a warm airing cupboard; any open drawer full of clothes; the surface of any chair pushed under the table; the surface of any chair anywhere; all windowsills; inside any cupboard where the doors are left open; the top of a kitchen cupboard if we feel like it; the top of the wardrobe if we feel like it; the side of an Aga or any wood burning stove; any kitchen surface that takes our fancy; in front of open fires; empty cardboard boxes of all kinds; the desk area next to the computer; the keyboard of the computer when we feel like it; the top of the stairs... You get the idea.
What your humans think they are doing is a bit more puzzling, as we have to allow for their limited cognition. My guess is that they might feel they would like more room on your double bed at night so have put a cat bed in the bedroom. This is ridiculous, of course. If you are kind enough to share your double bed with them, they must take the space they are given and be grateful for it. Do not accomodate them: it is their duty to accomodate you and your preferences.
The alternative possibility is that they really have understood that we like a lot of choice. If so they are pets in a million.
Yours thoughtfully
George
PS. Add your own suggestions....

5 comments:

  1. Oh we think the best bed in the house is the Person's bed and right next to her where it is toasty warm. We have beds all over the house too but the big bed is the very best especially if it has clean clothes on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zoe,
    I am a bit confused by your humans as well. In my book, if it has a surface upon which I wish to drape myself, it is a bed. Everything, therefore, is fair game: beds, couches, boxes, laundry baskets, bookshelves, laptop computers (the right size and oh! so toasty warm)and even their silly little dog. If it is pinned down by something, it makes a dandy heating device. They have, of course, provided me with a bed that they purchased for my express use. I hardly need tell you, I ignore it as much as possible.
    Yours faithfully,
    Puss-Puss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe, you are smart and cute girl! Don't accommodate them; don't let them get too close together at night or you risk getting a little human kitten which is BIG NO-NO! So, sleep tight either on your mommy's chest or between mommy and daddy:-)
    Use your claws if necessary to pin them down to their respective sleeping space you so gracefully allowed them to have!
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sleep where I want but I prefer the king size bed just to tease them!
    I sleep between them too but across the bed...so they will have just the edges of the bed (not bad at all) and they still love me :-)
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org