Saturday, September 15, 2012

Accompanying your human to the lavatory.... any chance of a goldfish?

Dear George,
I am a little worried about something. I have been in the habit of accompanying my human to her litter tray. I feel it is a way I can offer her support and, besides, I enjoy looking down the pan when she has flushed it. I keep hoping, as I watch the water whirl around, that something interesting might turn up - a goldfish, perhaps.
What do you think, George? Should I stop this practice? Sometimes I think she enjoys my company in the bathroom. At other times I worry in case I might interfere with her toilet habits by showing my affection.
I purr and rub against her legs.
Yours anxiously,
Bertie Catster.

Dear Bertie,
Your anxiety about human welfare has to be applauded. Some cats just wouldn't worry about it. That you do is a tribute to your empathy and responsibility to the lesser species. If only all cats thought about their human pets....
Personally, I think humans enjoy our company when they are using their litter trays. I would hate it if my human started petting me, as I used the tray. But I am not a human. Different species have different behaviours.
One great advantage of winding round their legs while they use the tray is that they will not fall over. Very elderly humans can be unsteady on their feet, and an affectionate cat can topple them very easily. Rubbing against them while they are securely seated is a way of showing affection safely.
Moreover, there is another advantage. I don't know how you feel about being picked up and cuddled. Frankly I don't appreciate it. I enjoy affection from my human but cuddling goes a bit too far. A human on its litter tray cannot cuddle. They can bend down and stroke but cannot pick us up. Another reason for accompanying them to the bathroom.
So put aside your anxieties and continue your activities,
George.
PS. Like you I have always hoped that a  fish might turn up in water.... no such luck.

9 comments:

  1. Hello Friends.........

    Great information.Thanks for sharing this useful information with all of us.Keep sharing more in the future.

    Have a nice time ahead.

    Thanks

    cat exam
    online cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think that this is perfectly appropriate, after all, we have open litter boxes and we have seen them "looking", why not return the favor. Besides, it's funny to make them think we are going to jump on their laps. It makes them really nervous.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMC! Why am I just now finding this blog!!!!??? I am going to read thought your postings, this most certainly help me with the continued training of my humans. I too follow my mommie into the bathroom but not the daddie. Any thoughts on this, why I don't go with the dad but do the mommie???

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is disappointing that we will NEVER see a fish. Oh well, we usually just go in to drink from the faucet anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice!! Our pal Gracie told us about you!! We like to follow Mom into the litterbox room too.


    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always follow Glogirly into the bathroom. But Gloman...well he scares me a little. (!)
    heh heh
    ; ) Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear George,
    The only time I like to sit on my human's lap is first thing in the morning when she's using her litter box.
    From reading your blog I worry that I'm being uncatly.

    Yours,
    Mickey Mouser

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guys, did you check your "smelling" abilities lately? Following humans into the loo? Ugh!
    I thought only humans have a screwed up mind and enjoying checking our poop!
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching the water flush away the ape waste. The only time that Oliver used to sit on an ape lap was when they were on the loo.

    If you put your paws on the seat and watch the water, you must be extra careful if a male ape is using the toilet as they stand up when they pee which means they might pee on your head.

    Yuk from
    Mungo

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org