Saturday, August 04, 2012

I am black and beautiful but I still need a home of my own.

Dear George,
Here I am in a Cats Protection pen, waiting for somebody to adopt me. I was heavily pregnant when I was turned up in somebody's garden - luckily they got help for me. 
I have five beautiful kittens, three of them black - two with me in this photo. The problem is that while my tabby kittens are easily adopted, fewer people want black kittens. Worse still, even fewer of them want black adult cats like me.
But look at me - I am sleek, with gleaming fur and an affectionate disposition.
What can we black cats do to change human attitudes?
Yours hopefully
Rosie
Dear Rosie,
Yes, you are black and beautiful. Wonderful golden eyes in that elegant black face with its long whiskers and a really nice whisker pad. (The whisker pad is such an improvement on the bald human cheek!) Humans really are odd.
Not content with discriminating against black people of their own species, they do the same to animals. Black dogs, sometimes known as BBUs or Big Black Uglies, are the last to be chosen in dog shelters. Black cats are almost the last to be chosen in cat shelters (though ugly brown dark torties like my friend Tilly are even slower to be chosen.)
Here in the UK black cats are thought to be lucky. It's even worse in the USA where black cats are thought to be unlucky. Maybe we could find a National Association for Black Cats or start a Black Feline Panthers.
Black cats in the world unite to change human attitudes!
Yours
George

5 comments:

  1. Rosie, you and your kittens look adorable! Hope you'll find soon a loving, forever home! I LOVE black cats! George is my proof (he know I love him) :-)))
    Hope humans will smarten up and start seeing the beauty of black cats!
    Love & hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say....George "knows" I love him! Uh! sorry for the missing "s" in my previous post. I totally understand Celia - one click too fast and voila! everything is gone (with or without grammar mistakes).
    But, the important thing is that Rosie is beautiful and her kittens absolutely adorable! I pray to God to bring the right, kind human to adopt them!
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rosie, you are beautiful! You and your kittens deserve the best. I was first rescued from the streets and then adopted from a shelter. I'm happy now! Because of my life on the streets I needed an operation and I have no teeth except for the canines! But, I'm happy and I learned to eat. I'm much loved by my human and I wish you and your kittens find loving homes soon!
    Love
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosie, I wish and your gorgeous kittens find loving forever homes soon. I just hope that you are for now in a no-kill shelter. I'm sure George and Celia will take care of this! I know my mummy and daddy are involved in a rescue group. Check the website - full of good information on cat care & nutrition:
    www.ora-animalsrescue.org
    Celia, please keep us posted on what happens to Rosie and her babies!
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do the Americans think black cats are unlucky - we hope they decided to love them one day soon.
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org