Saturday, July 16, 2011

Wicky Wuudler, the wit and wisdom of a great cat.



-->
Whicky Wuudler, famous character on the feline blogosphere, has passed away. I am in mourning for a great cat.
It was Whicky, with his ironic and post modern comments on this blog, that taught me so much about how we cats should think of humans. He called them “apes.” Perfectly correct terminology. Homo sapiens (don’t laugh at that last word) is part of the primate family and one of the Homidae genus which include other great apes. Whicky’s instinctive grasp of the correct term reminded us cats that humans are only animals – and not very nice ones at that.
He campaigned ceaselessly for proper human training. “The reward of purring should always be earned. I agree that cats should make the apes work hard for a purr., I like to make the ape work hard for even the smallest purr. Be careful though, apes can become quite emotional from purr absence, thus making them ever more grateful if I relent and offer the odd rumble. Remember, grateful apes = 100% subservient apes.”
Another bit of Wicky wisdom was an alternative training method, use of the miaow. “Apes are simple creatures, but they are easily reduced to mush by use of the most powerful weapon a feline has. The Silent Miaow. Just open your mouth as if to miaow, but don't make a sound. Make sure that you are looking up at your ape, keep your eyes wide open - expectant and innocent, try looking slightly pitiful as well. Then let the ape have it. It works every time, your ape will instantly attend to your every need and forget about use of that pointless ape word "no". The Silent Miaow must be used wisely lest the ape becomes used to it."
Whicky, or Mr Wuudler as he occasionally signed himself, was sound on feline basics: “Humans need much supervising in the kitchen. There's another way to ensure that a cat gets to do plenty of "cleaning up". Once the human has served the meal and is wending their way to wherever they want to eat it, wind yourself around their legs until they fall over and the meal lands over a wide area of carpet. The human will get up and stagger off to find cleaning items. When they return (limping) they will be so grateful that you have cleaned up the spilt food for them.
Also, never forget to swipe the bacon from an unguarded bacon sandwich. This is my speciality, a bit like the magicians who whip the tablecloth from the laden table without disturbing the place settings.”
It wasn’t just his wisdom. It was also his wit which made his contributions so valuable. Of Larry, the cat at Number 10 Downing St, he wrote: “Larry has his work cut out for him. The head ape at No. 10 is making life hard for many pets who reside with apes. Shelters are full already and recession means more pets to be dumped at shelters. Yep, Larry is a brave cat to take on ape training at No.10 “.
He also campaigned for an end to the cruel declawing of cats in the USA (see a Facebook page here) and the plight of homeless, starving and unloved cats everywhere. Whicky with his wonky ear was larger than life. Farewell, Whicky. We shall miss you.
George Online Cat.
PS. The photos on this blog are copyright from Everycat blog where more tributes can be found http://everycat.blogspot.com

19 comments:

  1. My dear friend Whicky! He it was who helped me find my voice and supported my research on and training of my human pets. I will miss you, Whicky...

    Purrs for your bereaved apes.
    Puss-Puss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved and admired Whicky and have lost a true furriend.
    Great tribute to a great feline.
    Love & Purrs,
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute to Whicky. We will miss him very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, not Whicky! Whicky Wuudler you were like a father to me; I was adopted from a shelter, never knew my parents and you just start teaching me how to train my human. I can't lose you so soon!
    I love you and I'll miss you very, very much.
    My little teary purrs go to your apes!
    Whicky, I shall always remember you
    Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir WinstonJuly 17, 2011

    A very sad day for all of us!
    Whicky Wuudler, you were such a gentleman!
    A good example for the young generation.
    We'll miss you very much.
    Rest in peace dear friend!
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  6. SebastianJuly 17, 2011

    My dear friend, you crossed the rainbow bridge way too soon.
    You'll be greatly missed.
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very sad day! I'm in shock and tears. Whicky, you gave me strength when I needed most, you made me laugh when I was sad!
    My purrs and prayers go to your apes and your brothers.
    I'll miss you so very much
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  8. CAT VictoriaJuly 17, 2011

    Whicky Wuudler, you were one of the most fine royalty! I'm happy I had the chance to know you!
    Your wisdom helped me change my life for the better. You were such a great feline.
    What a great tribute! My heart is crying.
    I'll miss you.
    CAT Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lea and BlazeJuly 17, 2011

    Way too soon! We loved your sense of humor.
    We loved your sharp comments.
    You were such a great example for all of us.
    We'll miss you
    Lea & Blaze

    ReplyDelete
  10. My head bows in honour! Whicky, it won't be another one like you man! Rest in peace dear friend! We'll all miss you.
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in shock! We all lost a great friend.
    Whicky, you were very special.
    We all loved you. We'll miss you very much.
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fluffy and CayenneJuly 17, 2011

    We are in mourning as we lost a dear friend. Whicky W, you were bigger then life; we loved your wit and wisdom and your sense of humor was much appreciated. This is a difficult time for your apes as it is a difficult time for all of us who loved you so much. We came across a "letter from a cat" by Margaret Trowton that illustrate perfectly the legacy you leave behind.
    "From a cat....
    When humans die, they make a will to leave their homes, and all they have to those they love. I too would make a will, if I could write.
    To some poor, wistful, lonely stray I'd leave my happy home, my dish, my cozy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy. The well-loved lap, the gentle stroking hand, the loving voice, the place I made in someone's heart
    The love, that at the last could help me to a peaceful, painless end held in loving arms.
    If I should die, Oh! Do not say:
    "no more a pet I'll have
    To grieve me by its loss"
    Seek out some lonely, unloved cat
    And give my place to him.
    This is my legacy,
    The love I leave behind,
    'Tis all I have to give".

    Whicky, we'll miss you much!
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Whicky, you were one of my only two cat friends.
    I know you will stay fleetingly around corners and in your usual special places until their pain ceases a little. They will know you will be waiting for them when their time comes.
    Save a place for me,please Whicky.
    "And when I fall before His reaping
    And when my stuttering speech is dumb
    Think not my love is dead or sleeping
    But that it waits for you to come."
    Eugene Field

    ReplyDelete
  14. George & Celia, thank you for writing such a wonderful tribute to our special bro' Whicky. Thank you to every cat and every bun for your touching comments and love. They are helping us very much. We miss Whicky big time, we are a bit lost without him keeping us in order. Whicky was a one off, a huge character and despite his campaigning ways, he was a very loving and playful boy. Thank you all, again.

    Gerry, Oliver & Jane The Ape xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. FredericoJuly 20, 2011

    This is a very sad news! Whicky, you were our pillar of strength in this unfair life; you gave us courage and you gave us hope!
    You left us way too early! I know you are watching from high above! I'll miss you!
    Frederico

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whickly Wuudler, my head bows in honour!
    You were like a father to me! You make me think that indeed I'm a wild cat up to my task to tame the humans! I loved you as a father and I was always looking for your wise words!
    Hope that your younger brothers will continue your work! It won't be the same but....hopefully they'll try. I'll miss you so much.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mon cher ami, tres, tres vite! It's all way too soon and very sad! I'll miss you and your comments! I know you'll be there at the bridge to welcome us as we'll arrive one by one (sooner or later). Hope they have a good French wine up there :-)
    Whicky, I'll miss you and I know your "major" Ape misses you very much.
    Rest in peace mon ami.
    Porthos

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so very sorry for our (the cat community) loss! Whicky, I always admired you!
    The cat blogosphere won't be the same without you!
    My thoughts & prayers go to your brothers and your apes.
    Thea

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank You for a wonderful tribute to the remarkable Whicky.

    I have known Whicky & his Ape, for well more than a year, or so, and he contributed over 60 well thought out, and informative, comments to our own blog.

    The day before he went to Rainbow Bridge he came thru with a collection of resources related to Declawing that we have added to our sidebar, and that led to Elvira doing her first story on the subject.

    A new post of mine, last night, led Gerry, & Oliver, to tell me about you, and your related resource website, and we will add both to our health section, as well.

    They will carry on in Whicky's place, quite nicely I believe.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org