Saturday, April 23, 2011

A war between breeders - a stud cat's tale.


Dear George,

My life story is based on lies, sex and money! I was caught in a war between the breeders. My name is Yogan and I am a pure breed. You might wonder what I’m doing here among rescued cats, but, in way, I’m a rescue too. I was born in a breeder’s house being destined, of course, to a life of sex and lies; I mean I was supposed “to produce” many, many kittens who would be sold for big money. Quite before I was supposed to “meet” my first “wife” I was sold to another breeder. I don’t know what exactly went wrong between the two, but I heard something about lies, money and papers. And, that’s how the war between them started. In between the court appearances, the one who bought me decided to neuter me so, if she can’t breed me ….no one ever would! I got “fixed” in “revenge” and not as a responsible, sensible solution to cat overpopulation!

In a way I’m happy I got the snip since I wouldn’t like to know my kittens being abandoned on the streets by some irresponsible humans. But I was (still am) appalled by the breeder’s motivation! That’s just another example of human greediness and irresponsibility. Soon I was up for sale again! But this time I was “rescued” by my “mommy” Jackie. Honestly, I couldn’t ask for more; she is well behaved, well trained in attending to my wellbeing and absolutely lovely. She lives for me! She loves me immensely! I’m writing to you George because I want you to make my story known – may be we all can learn something from it. What do you think?

Still appalled

Yogan


Dear Yogan,

You have had such a lucky escape. Most stud cats are kept in a cat chalet and never come out. If the breeder is ethical, they may have a spayed female cat for company. If the breeder really loves cats, then they will usually only be kept at stud for a year or two before being neutered and homed as a pet. But, in bad hands, the loneliness of the long-captived stud cat is awful. They cannot be kept in the house because they are so smelly. Some of them develop behaviour disorders like pacing walking up and down their small cages like suffering zoo animals.

The plight of the un-neutered tom on the street or in the countryside is different. He does have all the pleasures of freedom and the fun of mating. But with that goes a high chance of disease. Un-neutered toms do more fighting than neutered cats and fatal diseases such as FIV are spread by bites. They also roam far more and are more likely to be run over, lose their homes (if they had one) and end up battered and starving on the street. Many of the male stray cats that we at West Oxon Cats Protection pick up are in this condition. (If you go to the website, you will find Arthur there who needs a home). If their original owners had only had them neutered they would be safe and well at home.

Add to this that there are too many homeless cats, and you will see how important it is for cats to be neutered and spayed if they are going to lead the domestic life. Every single human that breeds kittens is adding to the overpopulation. Frankly, I think it is horrible. And I also think that irresponsibly breeding any animals from a very limited gene pool (mating within relatives for instance) results in some hideous disorders. Don't believe me? look at hereditary disorders in pedigree cats at www.fabcats.org.

You have now escaped the immense boredom of the stud cat's life and come home to live with your pet human. Congratulations. Please try to purrsuade all humans to adopt unwanted cats from animal shelters rather than from breeders. If they want a pedigree cat, they can adopt a rescue from the rescue arm of the relevant pedigree cat club. Or settle for a lovely moggie.

Love George

PS. I only wish we could have a neutering and spaying campaign to stop human overpopulation. This intellectually limited species is difficult to influence.

9 comments:

  1. Poor Yogan, I am so glad that Jackie rescued you from being treated like a sperm and cash factory. That is no way for any cat to live. George is right, everyone who breeds cats is making it all the more harder for homeless cats to find good homes (even the "ethical" breeders) We will probably get hatemail for that comment, but whilst hundreds of thousands of cats are killed all over the world on a daily basis for no reason other than they have no home, we won't be changing our view.

    Yogan you are very handsome

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yogan, indeed, you are very, very handsome! I'm happy that Jackie rescued you! I'm sure she is an excellent Mommy (like mine is):-)
    I lived, abandoned, on the streets for about 2 years! I'm a mix of some breeds and probably not up to a "breeding" standard therefore I was "discharged" No one knows my true story but I'm happy I was rescued by my mommy (Alison).
    I don't even want to comment on human behavior as it is too painful for me. I wish all cats be rescued by good humans.
    Love
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fluffy and CayenneApril 24, 2011

    Wow! Very handsome! Yogan, enjoy your good life with Jackie. Sure enough she'll make an excellent pet human! Bravos to her for rising above human hypocrisy and vanity.
    Hugs
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    PS. A Safe & Happy Easter to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir WinstonApril 24, 2011

    Sir, my hat off to you!
    Your story is amazing, Yogan!
    I like "happy endings". Celebrate your new life with Jackie (make sure you take over the master bedroom)
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Kitty Horde say, "OMB!! Everycat in the Horde are Tims, well except for Audrey who is a Princess. Mom doesn't mind ethical breeders who love and adore their furbabies and make sure that they only go to loving and caring homes. But our mom made a special graphic for our store with our slogan Neuter & Spay: It's the Only Way!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother was bought at a pet store! Guess that's the place where breeders take all kittens they feel are not up to their stupid standards.
    I think pet stores are a sort of kitten mills - just horrible! I watched the other night the British CatWoman's, Ms. Lumley, documentary about cats in US. I've seen a "breeder" who's breeding cats with shorter front legs. Disgusting! These cats are handicapped. How can someone do such things without being punished? Then I've seen one breeder in LA breeding exotic cats - all in velvet lined cages. I turned the TV off. I wish for more strict laws to protect animals and more responsible humans. Yogan, you are one lucky guy (and very handsome too)
    Love
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Yogan, thanks for sharing your story with us!
    I'm a pure breed and now, my heart is crying for my mom! I hope that...that "breeder" reads this and becomes more human.....letting my mom live a normal life.
    Thea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yogan, you are lucky! Now, you can really enjoy your life. I'm a pure breed but never meant to be a stud! Most of the time humans want a "pure breed" only because they are such snobs!
    Make sure you are constantly asking Jackie to prove her love for you! Start by asking her to match her hair color to your beautiful red.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad Yogan was rescued from a terrible life of misery. He is certainly beautiful. Look at those eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org