Saturday, October 23, 2010

My not-so-new new cat house


Dear George,

I can not stop laughing at how silly humans can be! The other night I heard my “people” talk about buying some new furniture and getting rid of my old cat house (since ….dah! it is that old! stupid!)

I heard my daddy saying that he’s going to throw away the cat house!

What? Is he crazy? First of all…..this is not his house, it is mine! Then, I heard my “mommy” saying “don’t through it away, just leave it outside - what if they want to go inside”? I could not believe when I heard him saying “what for? They never got into this house”. Hey, buddy! You just made my day!

SOOOOOO! The minute he took the cat house outside …..I “jumped” in and start purring

and …..slept in the house all day”– as you can see in this photo.

I and Cayenne take turns at sleeping in the house outside!

Now, guess what! We have a cat house inside and a cat house outside…and I’m looking for many more to come J))

But, George….I still feel like punishing my daddy! What should I do?

Love

Fluffy


Dear Fluffy,

Congratulations on a very effective way of teasing your human. We cats can do this for almost every kind of cat equipment and the more expensive it is the better. A new and costly item appears in the house - a cat basket, a cat bed, a cat house, a mouse toy, a cat gymnasium....

The classic feline tease goes like this. Stalk over to the new item and inspect it carefully. Sneer. Sneer again. Walk away with an offended and lofty air and refuse to go near it. Ignore all maladroit human attempts either to stuff you in it (scratch) or to lure you in with food (wait till they have left the house to retrieve the cat biscuits!).

Stage two is to find something old and shabby. Use that instead. Sit in the fruit basket, the laundry container, the discarded computer box, instead of the new cat house. Play with a dessicated pea which was dropped on the kitchen floor, or with old newspapers, or discarded paper clips instead of the expensive new toy.

Wait. All cats can outwait all humans. Wait for months if necessary.

Then - when you hear them discussing getting rid of the by-now-not-so-new item - whisk inside it. Play with it furiously. And watch their amazement and irritation. A simple game for a simple species (not us, but them).

You have outwitted him already, Fluffy. But what about punishing him by sitting on his head when he is trying to sleep at night? Or just wake him at 3 am by chasing an imaginary mouse (originally she mistyped this as house) over his body.

Love George

PS. Human secretary says ISP access still unreliable. I say human is unreliable.



6 comments:

  1. Fluffy you are a master. Nice work. I'd suggest a single claw inserted into your Dad's nostril just as he is falling asleep at night in bed. It's swift, it's subtle and it's exquistely painful. Your Dad will be too busy squealing and blundering about trying to find a tissue to dab his streaming eyes to work out that it was your claw of revenge.

    Gerry holds the record for the longest ignored, especially purchased cat item in our home. In 2007 the apes bought him a padded, round, green cat bed. Just for him, as a special moving in present - he has refused to even look at it once since June 11th 2007. If an ape brings it into the room where Gerry is, Gerry will leave the room.

    My current favourite toy is an old Brussel Sprout. I enjoy whapping it about the house, it makes a good noise when it hits furniture. I am hopeful it will soon start to smell, which will irritate the apes and get them worrying about drains!

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, why would a cat want to chase a house over a body? A mouse, maybe but a house? Mine stays firmly put and doesn't go anywhere. I suppose the reason you cats are always thinking of ways to annoy people is because you can't stamp your back leg. Stamping is the ultimate way to demand attention and make your displeasure felt. I'm so glad I'm a rabbit.
    Harve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fluffy, good move on your part. I always had two outside condos for my two kitties. One in the cart, the other one on the porch. Fortunately, they both loved them and used them all the time.

    I am so excited! My next door neighbor called yesterday to tell me they have two new cats that they are going to introduce to the outside on Saturday to be inside/outside cats. I promised I would not feed them, but I didn't promise not to love on them. Besides we have an endless supply of chipmunks right here on my patio and I'm hoping they will thin the population.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the "green velvet cat bed" I got and never slept in. But, I can't tease my humans since I heard them saying they going to donate it to a shelter. It looks like my apes are smarter then average :-)
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear George, IT IS so funny to see their long faces when we take turns sleeping in the old house :-)
    My favorite "toy" is a green olive which will probably turn bad soon....but "glides" nicely through the house!
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Dear George, but I wake him up every morning at 4 am to play :-)
    He loves me sooooo much that he doesn't even get upset.....just tired!
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org