Saturday, June 19, 2010

Where is my Bowler? Male fashion for cats.

Dear George,
As you know, Fiona is my sphynx sister and Sweet Pea is my two legged siser who is 5 years old. They find great delight in chasing me around the house trying to abscound with my Bowler. My Bowler is a very important part of who I am, without it I feel I am not the proper British Mancat who is well Suited and Booted. I feel I cannot show my face or spots witho
ut it. Ever since it has gone missing my chin has been down to the ground. What will I do without it I ask myself? Buying another Bowler to replace the one they lost will not do. That Bowler has special meaning to me, it was/is my very first British Bowler, it fits just right. Oh...what will I do? Can you help?
Sincerely
Harry Spotter, at http://spotandfiona.blogspot.com/
PS. I have three large blue spots, blue toupee markings and a blue tail.


Dear Harry,
Are you sure you want a Bowler? What about a Topper? Or a Yorkshire flat 'at? Finding the right size hat for a British (or any other nationality) cat is not going to be easy. Maybe you should have Ratcatcher riding gear (so called among the human hunting set, see http://www.iwfoxhounds.com/hunting_clothes.php ) to go with it - buff or yellow breeches with a tweed riding jacket? Ratcatcher used to be for cub hunting but now has caught on during the proper season. I like to think that humans have taken advice from ratting cats and are wearing as near as the poor souls can get to tabby or dark tortoiseshell fur.
My owner, Oh no, my secretary*, Celia, bought me a
Father Christmas hat (see photo left) by buying a Father Christmas soft toy and then detaching the hat. She then gave the doll (which was bald beneath the hat) to a rather puzzled human kitten.
I personally did not appreciate that hat, as you can see from my expression. I felt it was demeaning for me to
be dressed like any human being, the inferior species, and worse stlll one that went down chimneys and vocalised "Ho, ho, ho!" (A meaningless bit of human vocalisation but mind you, most of it is, anyway.). I do not wish to go up and down chimneys though I quite like terrifying my humans by getting on the roof.
Your spots bring to mind another thing. Why on earth are there so few cats in the Harry Potter books? Mrs Norris, the cat belonging to Filch the caretaker, is a bad 'un and only Hermione Granger seems to have a proper witches' cat, Crookshanks. Crookshanks is ginger and long haired. Why is there no Grimalkin, the traditional witch's black cat, I ask. We black cats need an PR image consultant.
Sincerely (not love because we are being British)
George
*How could I have made such a mistake. Humans owning cats is just laughable. Everybody knows cats own humans.

8 comments:

  1. Clothing is so complicated. I wonder if Harry's humans could purchase a human head sized Bowler for him and it could be utilised as a bed for Harry. Human heads achieve vast sizes, so I am sure one could be found that Harry could curl up in. A Sphynx cat needs to keep warm so some cosy tweeds might be in order.

    Our ape thinks JK Rowling is probably a cat hater :(

    W.Wuudler esq

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww that cat needs a coat as well as a hat!

    http://acatcalledharley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tres chic, mon cher, tres chic!
    Porthos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir WinstonJune 23, 2010

    Dear George,
    I do believe that sometimes...we do "love & kiss" even if British!
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Aren't you cold? Better get a coat than a hat! Indeed you look very aristocratic with the hat but I rather be warm & cozy!
    Hugs
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fluffy and CayenneJune 23, 2010

    Dear George - two mistakes in your letter:-)
    First - Celia is your secretary and not your owner (a typo or....?)
    Second - that Father Christmas hat...bad!bad!bad!
    What was Celia thinking?
    Love
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  7. SebastianJune 23, 2010

    Kido....with a white face, a red coat and a blue tail....you could pass for a French!
    Love your hat!
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, thanks for an extremely enjoyable blog post, I do not usually post responses
    but enjoyed your post and as a result decided I'd personally say thanks ! - Florence
    Here is my web blog ; pea jackets

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org