Saturday, June 05, 2010

Cars and roads and cats - I don't get it

Hi George,
I'm Fred and I live with Ginger (who is ginger) and with Ben who is black and doesn't like us younger cats very much. My hunting ground is across the road from where I live, and where the cars are parked. I find the cars handy for hiding under when strangers pass by. So I pop back and forward across the road most days and most nights.
Why does my human worry about this? I know there is traffic. I kind of don't bother about cars. What are they? Nothing much to me. What is this human anxiety about, George? I don't get it.
Love
Fred
Dear Fred,
You right, you don't get it. Neither do I. These metal objects that hurtle down the roads are very mysterious. Most of the time during the day, you and I can manage to avoid them. The speed they do, however, is very confusing. I mean, nothing in nature hurtles along at 50 miles an hour. We cats were designed to avoid big predators like wolves or lions. We are not designed by nature to cope with metal boxes like cars.
At night we don't even have the right kind of eyes for it. Car headlights dazzle us. We can't judge how fast the car is coming at us. We can't see it properly. So most of us just make a run for it. Which is what worries our human pets. They fear we may get killed (as lots of cats do). Of course, if we had them properly under control, we would just ban all cars. But even that might threaten our catfood supplies.
It's tricky. I love hunting at night. I love the moonlit stalk. The pounce in the shadows. Yet crossing the road is a horrible danger. Make your human keep you in at night.
Love George
PS. Posts may be a bit erratic. My secretary's partner is in hospital, so she is spending a lot of time with him instead of doing her duties.

9 comments:

  1. Fluffy and CayenneJune 06, 2010

    Fred, George is right; stay in at night, especially if you live on a busy street.
    Hugs
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    PS. George, please give our love to Celia.
    Hope everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy street, lots of traffic?
    Crossing the road? That's a big NO-NO!
    Find yourself a territory with no cars.
    It's safer this way :-)
    Love
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. FredericoJune 06, 2010

    After living 1 year on the streets....I feel safe as an indoor cat! Not that I'm not tempted to "jump" outside (at least in the backyard) but we live very close to a busy road.
    Better safe then sorry!
    Frederico

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Fred,
    I was abandonned and lived on the streets for about 2 years. I was rescued and now I live a happy life in a condo!
    Cars can be terrible things. Don't even go near them. Stay in your garden.
    Love
    Shumba

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir WinstonJune 06, 2010

    George, please give my regards and best wishes to Celia.

    Fred, tell your humans that there are some good "cat enclosures" for gardens. Tell them to get a copy of "Your Cat" (published in UK) and they can find lots of models there.
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Fred.....you look a lot like me!
    Forget crossing that awful, "car crowded" road!
    Better find something different to amuse yourself.
    Porthos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brrrr! A road with bumper to bumper cars!
    Better tell your humans to get you some videos for cats and stay in watching movies!
    You'll probably get fatter but at least you are safe.
    Cheetho

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is how I lost my sweet Oscar Snuggles. Don't cross the road.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We get shut in at night and it sucks. But it sucks much less than having a fight with a car.

    We hope that your secretary's partner gets well soon.

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org