Sunday, February 21, 2010

Why do I like paddling in water at the seaside?


Dear George.
My name is Rupert and I'm a grey tabby. I read with keen interest, Riley’s letter of February 4th, as I am faced with a similar situation.
As you can see, I just LOVE
to swim. I’ve always been fascinated with water, playing in the sink and the bathtub too when my humans do their thing. But when my humans take me to the cottage, which is my favorite place in the whole world, I love to walk on the beach, and play in the lake. But, like Riley’s humans, my humans are also overprotective, and always insist that I wear my harness and leash. If I could only loose that thing so I could really get into this. It’s hard to dive down to catch bugs and critters when I’m tethered to the leash. I’m just trying to catch dinner to be more self-sufficient.
I know I shouldn't complain, as my humans do spoil me to death. And I also know that cats aren't supposed to like water. But I can't help it. My personality is more like a dog than a cat. I DO come whenever my humans call me. I DO run to the door to greet my humans when they come home, and I DO like my tummy scratched. I suppose I shold just be grateful that my humans don't make me wear a lifejacket.
Why do you suppose that I act more like a dog than a cat? Am I weird?
Rupert.

Dear Rupert
I wonder if your pleasure in swimming is inherited from a Turkish Van ancestor? Many of us cats who do not have a pedigree, nevertheless have pedigree blood. I personally am convinced that I have a Siamese ancestor or possibly that I am related to a black panther. I dream that perhaps Bagheera of the Jungle Stories by Kipling was my ancestress. I am a black panther at heart even if my stature is small.
Whatever your enjoyment of swimming, Rupert, do be careful not to let your humans take control. It is very important for all cats to uphold the dignity of our species. There may be moments of affection for your humans that make you feel like a dog. Fight them. It is natural to love your human pets, but important not to forget who is boss. You. Cats Rule. Humans are happier when they know their place - below the Alpha Cat of the household.
I like water too. As a kitten I jumped into the garden pond three ties - once by mistake, once just to see what would happen and a third time just for the hell of it. I am still fascinating by running taps, dirty puddle water, and things below the surface of the pond. SinceCelia fished me out with a net I am less keen on swimming in it. It is just too embarassing and demeaning to have to be rescued by a human.
I know of a cat that suffered from a severe back problem and was cured by swimming. Dinky, a ginger and white kitten was rescued by Cats Protection and bottle fed by his owner, Sam. His back legs went wobbly because of a benighn tumour on his spine. Sam nursed him back to health and helped him gain back muscle by swimming therapy. Now he is well enough to mouse.
Love George

10 comments:

  1. Holy heart! Rupert, the cat, LOVES water!
    Riley, the cat, LOVES snow!
    And ....they both behave like DOGS!
    Are you genetically modified cats or what?
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love paying in the snow, but I'm not too keen about water :-)
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rupert, you look so cute in the water!
    But it gives me "goose bumps" just thinking of swimming! I've seen cats surfing thou!
    Hugs
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I take a shower once in a while with one of my humans (I prefer him; she's too fussy)
    I've seen a video on youtube with a cat putting her head right into tap running water in the kitchen sink, let the water run on her head and then with lots of happy meowings she would drink water! I thought it was funny!
    I tried it too...but all I got was a very wet head! Not funny :-)
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sebastian, times are changing, man!
    These kids today are a bit different, but let them enjoy while they are still young!
    Go for what you love kido!
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Rupert....you are my hero!
    You look soooooooo COOL!
    (I'm afraid of water) :-)
    Love
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rupert, my friend, YES! you are weird!
    All our humans are overprotective and I love them being overprotective(I was rescued by an overprotective family from an abusive family)
    Don't expect them to understand you; they usually are limited to one language! May be that's why they are so overprotective.
    We, cats, are smarter; we can speak many languages! So, try to write them a letter - hopefully they can read.
    Frederico

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rupert, you make me look forward to summer! Now, I'm all into diving :-)
    All I need is a trick how to get "off and out" of that harness!
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like water, I don't like by stomach scratched, but I do go running when called and I do greet my humans at the door when they come in, usually, if I'm not in a deep sleep. But, I am spoiled rotten and I love it. I have a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rupert, please do not think for one minute that you are ANYTHING like a dog at all! As a cat you have a long heritage linked to many wild cats of the world including ones like the Asian Leopard Cat who LOVES water. Some tigers will happily hunt in water too and there are several small jungle cats who do that as well. Large panthers like Bagheera will rest in water to cool down, as will some lions.

    I used to live by running water and would happily paddle along the shallows amidst the pebbles, chasing dragonflies in summer when the water was very low.

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org