Saturday, January 02, 2010

More on Christmas gifts and should humans dye their hair to match our fur.


Dear George,
Talking about fashion, Christmas gifts and human behavior!
I think I got my humans well trained, especially my mom. She is very “fashionable” and wants the same for me.
See, I got a blanket to match my eyes’ color and a little “snowman” mouse to play with. I have to mention that the mouse’s hat is blue too!
I know that actually she’s so much in love with me that she had her hair done to match my eyes too (I’ve seen some blue highlights on it) Now, how cool is this?
George, do you think I should ask my male human to have his hair colored blue as a token of love for me?
In wonder
Tom

Dear Tom,
Here in the UK the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals has taken a firm line when humans dye their pets to match their clothes or their furniture. They don't think it is ethical to do this, as they fear it makes animals into fashion objects. So I consulted the feline equivalent organisation, the Imperial Society for the Protection of Humans, (note that it is a bit up the social scale from the mere Royal of the human organisation), and their view was that it would be unethical to require your male human to change its hair colour.
Of course, we do keep humans as pets for our amusement, as well as love. Their funny little ways can be really entrancing at times and I, for one, much enjoy playing with them. They seem to appreciate the attention so much. It is sometimes quite pathetic to see their disappointed faces, when I show my disapproval by withdrawing attention. But how far should we cats go in adapting humans to our requirements?
After very careful consideration, my opinion is that you should fully enjoy the compliment of your female human. She is really showing her devotion by changing her hair colour to match your eyes. However, it would be going to far to make this a requirement by the male human. If he chooses, of his own accord, to make such a touching gesture, then naturally you will respond with purrs and rubs of the highest quality.
But, if he falls short of female devotion, and does not change his hair colour, then this must be accepted with a good grace. Forcing him to do so would be wrong. There is a move among the feline intelligentsia to admit that humans do have some rights. Of course, as a species lower down the evolutionary scale of things, their rights do not supercede ours. But we should allow them a few minor freedoms and I think hair colour probably falls into this category.
Happy New Year.
Love George.

PS. I have just heard of the death of Angel. For her obituary read: http://everycat.blogspot.com

11 comments:

  1. I think it's important to encourage apes to eat enough, so their laps remain plump, comfortable and warm when we choose to sit on them. I do not care what colour their silly hair is, I only care that the long haired ape keeps hers tied back when she bends down to worship me, nowt worse than strands of hair sticking into my face.

    Our Gerry has a colour preference, he will only play with dark blue ping pong balls, but he's a peculiar little cat. He does enjoy the trouble the apes must go to, to find the precise colour of ping pong balls though.

    Happy New Year to you all

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tom and George,

    Yes, I have to agree with George on this one: requiring a hair color change from your male human would be a bit unfair. I suppose humans aren't decorative, after all. But, I am sure your male human would be pleased if he were able to bear some other physical token of his love for you. So perhaps you can try wallowing all over his coat (you have such lovely light colored fur) so that wherever he goes, other humans will know instantly that he has a good cat taking care of him. If he removes the hair, which is a possibility (sometimes they just don't grasp that we're doing them a favor), then maybe you can pee all over his clothes. The lovely scent is long-lasting and is as good as signing your name on his forehead.

    Sincerely,
    Puss-Puss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dyed my hair black once to match my horse, but unfortunately it suited the horse better than it suited me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir WinstonJanuary 03, 2010

    I bet she'll have her hair dyed in your coat color (cream/beige with darker points) once she's through the "blue stage" :-)
    But, Sir, I have to admit that you have a very nice, high quality coat!
    Sir Winston

    ReplyDelete
  5. When they put those silly Christmas hats on us they don't ask any Royal Protection Society!
    Tom, get him do his hair blue, pink, green, whatever! Just get him do something to please you and make him understand that you are the boss!
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fluffy and CayenneJanuary 03, 2010

    Tom, you can ask your male human to hunt for you some fresh, juicy mice as a token of love for you!
    We think he'll be delighted to go hunting :-)
    Love
    Fluffy & Cayenne

    PS. Whicky Wuudler be nice to your apes in this difficult time. They seem to be kind apes!
    Our mommy cried today reading the obituary for Angel. We know it must be hard for all of you there at Everyday Cat. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, that's an excellent idea! May be I should ask my female human to go "tabby" as a token of love for me or just to prove she's willing to obey to me :-)
    Feliz Ano to all gatos & gatitos!
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear George & Tom,
    YES! Humans should dye their hair to match our fur!
    I wish I see my female human turn..."calico"!
    Ha! That's a good one :-)
    Love
    Shumba

    PS. Whicky Wuudler, I'm so sorry to hear about Angel. I keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you all!
    Let me know if your humans are willing to dye their hair to match your fur!
    We might be able to have a remake of Hairspray! Casting is not a problem since we have so many talented cats & kittens here :-)
    Frederico

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Celia, George, Puss Puss, Fluffy & Cayenne and Shumba, thank you so much for your comforting words of love to us for the loss of Angel. It means so much to us that so many care about us at such a sad time. Angel was so special to us all.

    Rumbly purrs from

    Whicky Wuudler
    (who is being nice to the apes and also drowning his sorrows with bcketfuls of catnip and valerian)

    *hic*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a gray tabby, but I have noticed that my humans are only gray around the edges of their hair, especially my male human. He would love to dye his hair, but not gray. He want to be a blonde again. I say he's a bit old for that.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org