Thursday, April 16, 2009

I keep shouting but they ignore me.


Dear George,
Please will you tell the previous writer, Sebastian, that humans definitely don't understand cat English. They don't understand my body language. They don't understand my scent language, however often I rub against them. And they don't understand my talking. Most cats don't do much talking but we Siamese sort of have this as a speciality. I literally shout for hours at my humans and they take no notice at all. They really are dumb animals. Could this be because they are old? Also my humans have no pedigree at all. Could this account for their inability?
Miss Ruby Fou

Dear Miss Fou,
Is it fair to blame your humans for not having a pedigree? Many of us cats don't either and it doesn't affect our superior intelligence at all. Obviously you have one. You are a recognised aristocratic shape and colour and, if I may say so, very shapely indeed. I have always preferred blondes. However, your humans can't help not having the right birth certificates.
What you say about their inability to learn language of any kind - body, scent or vocal - is sad but does not surprise me. I personally don't make a lot of noise (like humans do) but I am aware that Siamese perform most striking and beautiful vocal arias. Are you sure you aren't doing it too often? Are you humans getting habituated to it? Is it possible that they are literally just blocking out the sound, like we cats block out TV noises (usually).
Have you thought of stopping shouting and keeping the sound level down? Then they might have to listen more.
George.

PS. Is it possible that they are deaf? Perhaps you should take them for a check up with the human vet.

3 comments:

  1. That's exactly what I thought at the beginning too - that she has a hearing problem! I was thinking: "what a pity; so young and beautiful and .....already deaf?" Soon I realized that she can hear very well her little dogs; that's when I started to be louder and louder, but soon I realized that, in fact, she doesn't understand me!
    I'm working now on her dogs - it seems to "work" fine - for the time being :-)
    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Ruby Fou,
    May be you should try different "tunes" at different sound level.
    Here is one suggestion: jump on their lap and start knitting and purring softly - something like in "killing me softly with this song"
    Love
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My human have never ignored me, for which I am very thankful. I keep doing little things that just won't allow them to ignore me, like catching birds, baby rabbits and occasionally a chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org