Friday, February 06, 2009

How can I stop my human disturbing my afternoon nap?


Dear George,

This is a serious matter and I need all your help as I’m close to losing my temper!
What could possible be in my human male’s mind to make him think he’s doing me a favor by DISTURBING my afternoon nap?
George, imagine this; I’m in a profound sleep, dreaming sweet dreams, and there he comes making some strange noises like “ciu-ciu-ciu” or “tzi-tzi-tzi” trying to hold me, kiss and pet me! He got this crazy idea that I’m his “daddy’s little girl” (see how well I trained him?) and he can’t live a minute not holding me.
I mean….I don’t mind to be his “daddy’s little girl” BUT ON MY TERMS, not his.
What does he think? Do I wake him up at noon? NO! I wake him up at 4 am – that’s when we, cats, want to play! Do I make some strange noises? No! I lick his face and kiss him. And…what do I get in return? His grumpiness – at 4 am.
Is this fair? Sometimes I even pretend I want to eat, but he won’t get up to serve me.
Some nerves he has! So, dear George, how can I make him stop waking me up at noon and making him play by my rules?
Love,
Fluffy

Dear Fluffy,
This is a claw and order issue. You need to administer punishment. Remember, as with all training issues, the punishment or reward must come within a second or two of the human behaviour. They are not bright. If you leave it for half a minute they will not understand that it is linked with their behaviour. So, as soon as he puts a hand on you, swiftly claw him. You will see from the comments below that Oscar Snuggles also uses this technique with skill. Claws work.
Is this kind to humans you ask? I always consider human welfare. Kindness to humans is a feline responsibility and I will have no truck with cruelty. Humans are in our care and it is important that, while as the superior species we put our own interests first, we should never wholly forget theirs. But as I see it, a well-trained human is a happy human. Allowing bad behaviour to go unpunished is simply to allow a good human to turn into a bad one. It is in their own interests to receive swift punishment when their behaviour is over the line.
Punishment works. After you have administered a swift and sharp scratch several times, the male human will think twice about harassing you when you are asleep. You have laid down a boundary for him. You have, by the scratch, communicated to him in clear body language what you require - sleep that is uninterrupted. You will see by his rapid withdrawal of the hand that he has got the message. Because humans are wilful and stupid, it may take two or three punishments before he finally understands, but, I assure you, he will...
As for his unwelcoming attitude at 4am in the morning, we cats require not just obedience but willing and instant obedience. However, this attitude of grumpiness is best dealt with not by punishment but by reward. Purring, nuzzling, and licking are very rewarding to humans. If you have properly become ruler of the household, the humans are in a submissive and appeasing mood state towards you. In the human-cat dyadic, you are top cat. When top cat purrs, humans are excited, pleased, even a little bit overwhelmed with sheer gratitude at our condescension. What we are aiming at is a human attitude of gratitude. Happy humans are grateful for any feline attention or kindness.
So, purr and claw does the trick. It's called operant conditioning and we cats do it all the time to our humans. Only they are so dim, they don't realise.
George


4 comments:

  1. My humans only disturb me when they think it's necessary to make up the bed. I hear them whispering about hurrying to get the bed made before I arrive for me long day nap. I suppose I shouldn't complain, because they do turn the electric blanket on and the goosedown comforter makes it just right for a very long nap. My human did try to move me this morning and I scratched the back of her hand. She is now sporting a rather nasty looking wound. I only wake them when they want to go to bed, but I need to go outside to check out the critter population. They do get upset with me. We cats do have an image to maintain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that a small, menacing grizzle works a treat if those needy apes even think about disturbing me from my important slumbers.

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear George, you are wasting good advise on my sister.
    She's such a "drama queen"!
    All she wants is "attention" at all times and everything HAS to be by her rules! It's true that she was the first and the biggest in the litter and I was the last and the smallest, but now...I'm bigger than her (weight wise):-)
    Comm'on! She drives me nuts; she wants to play all the time. Sometimes I think she's "plugged in". Me? I'd be happy if everybody will just leave me alone with my books! I'm very skilled at hissing and clawing. I "spanked" our "daddy" few times and he learned his lessons (at least with me).
    It's true that I never did this with my mommy; I have a soft spot for her :-)
    But, Fluffy? As cute as she is and as SPOILED (very)as she is....she will never ever claw anybody. She's too mellow for this; kissy-kissy type!
    So, I'm curious if she'll follow your excellent advice now, that she asked for your help! I'd let you know.
    Hugs,
    Cayenne

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I add, the cat vocalizing an annoyed "Mmmmmph" without even opening the eyes, is enough to make a properly trained human withdraw their hand and cease the unwanted behaviour. The successful use of this technique proves the human is learning and may be ready for the next step in their training.

    George

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org