Sunday, October 05, 2008

How do we cats vote?

Dear George,
How should we felines vote? Republican or Democrat? Tory or Labour? And why don't we have a vote? I should like to have a paw in the business of choosing the human leader.
Lucy.

Dear Lucy,
Don't even think about voting. Humans spend hours bothering themselves about politics. We cats are much more sensible. We just get on with our own affairs. However, in theoretical terms your question is an interesting one.
AS an English cat, I am not so sure about the differences between Republicans or Democrats though obviously my colour predisposes me to take an interest in Mr Obama. On the other hand that Sarah woman is obviously a terrific hunter. Did you see that bearskin! And moose not mere mice!  What she brings home beats any of the mice or rabbits I have brought home.
We cats have been described as selfish. I would call us sensibly self interested. And independant. As such we might vote Tory rather than Labour. We don't do altruism except for our own families. We don't look after poorer cats. We don't share. 
On the other hand we do exist on handouts. I mean I don't actually pay for my cat food. My humans do that. So perhaps I am part of the dependancy culture. So on that score we might vote Labour.
What do the rest of you think? Please enlighten me.
George.
PS. My secretary is away for a week learning the scientific side of animal behaviour so this is only a short entry.

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I love your blog. I'm always looking for tips to keep my human (NOT owner) in check! Of course, a hairball on the floor is always a handy tool... Do you mind if I link you to my blog? Please comment on mine!

    Bandit

    P.S. And if you noticed on the profile picture, there IS a dog next to me. As my human calls it, he's my brother, Rusty. He's not so bad but he is extremely jealous of any attention I get at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi George! that is a very thoughtful response.
    remember, although you may not pay for your food, you do work for it by being your human's entertainment, stress relief and general cuteness factors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I leave the voting to my humans. I just don't want to clutter my busy mind with making decision on who to vote for, so I let my humans decide. Besides I over heard them talking, they have already voted. In Georgia, where we live, they get to vote early to avoid all the long lines on election day. They don't have time to wait in line, they need to take care of ME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, we American cats don't have the right to vote...yet. We can assume it's only a matter of time until our rights are recognized and the polling places will be forced to accomodate us with special voting booths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Difficult to choose in the UK. Some time ago the Labour leader Neil Kinnock actually had cats. He wasn't voted in. Tory leader Michael Howard had two cats. He wasn't voted in. Don't think Gordon Brown, prime minister, has any nor does David Cameron, the Tory leader.
    Big Tom

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org