Saturday, July 05, 2008

I am blind. Why don't humans adopt blind cats?

Dear George,
As you can see from the photo, there is something wrong with my eyes. Not that I can see anything wrong. Even if I could recognise myself in a mirror I couldn't. I am completely blind. I got cat flu as a kitten but I was rescued by a family that looked after me whom I loved very much. Then they went abroad so I was stuck in Wrexham CP for months before anybody gave me a home. I am happily settled (adored actually)in Janice's flat with 2 litter trays, 2 scratching posts and a cat gymnasium. Sometimes I use it just to show her that I appreciate all her efforts. Sometimes I pole dance on scratching posts to amuse her too. She's a good carer. But why do most humans turn away from disabled cats. I used to hear them pass by my cage, pause and then just walk on by. It was very hurtful.
Feely Felix.
PS. There's some information about cats like me on www.celiahaddon.com in the disabled animals section.

Dear Feely,
Humans are like that. They discriminate all the time. It's just one of the ways that they are inferior to cats. We aren't like that. We wouldn't refuse to talk to another cat just because it didn't have four legs or because it couldn't see properly. It wouldn't occur to us. Why would we? But humans do it all the time. They even discriminate against other humans.
Ever seen a human talking in a specially loud voice to some other human in a wheelchair - as if the wheelchair person couldn't hear properly or was mentally challenged? If you were out and about in the streets, Feely, you might come across this. It happens. Human beings are a pretty low form of life at times but we cats can sometimes bring out their higher natures.
So when they ignore, patronise or just euthanize disabled cats, it's more or less what they do to other humans (except for the latter). They don't believe that disabled cats have just the same rights to live and be happy as do entire and abled cats. So they peer into the shelter cages and notice the disability. Some of the nicer ones say "Aah, poor little pussycat" and then they pass on by.
Some rescue shelters don't even give us a chance of life. They euthanize us almost at once. They call themselves sanctuaries or rescue establishments but they are abbatoirs. In the USA about 70% of the cats handed into rescue are just euthanized - according to an American Humane Society survey. Luckily in the UK, the figures are much better and (with a few exceptions) many shelters give a second chance to cats like you, Feely. And it is getting better in the USA too with no-kill shelters starting up.
Cats Protection in Wrexham gave you a second chance. So did Jance. She's a special human being so cherish her, Feely. There are hundreds of disabled or elderly cats in cat rescue shelters desperately needing humans like her.
George.

7 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 05, 2008

    George you are so right. Too many humans are obsessed with the perfection of appearance and don't bother to look deeper. We cats get treated like commodities by these sort of humans, to be rejected and ignored - Grrr! Shallow fools! They could learn so much more about life by extending a little care towards disabled animals and the less than perfect looking (me) I'm glad Feely has a nice home now and hope more special cats find homes because of your wise words.

    George for Prime Minister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, we would like you to know, that you should never give up hope. While there are those out there that would readily pass you by, please know that there are many, many others, that would see and love you just as you are.

    Please stop by our blog, perhaps you will find peace in my story, and the fact that so many wonderful people have come to my aid...

    Sincerely,

    Moki - Another disabled cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I meant to address that to Feely Felix. However, I think that you to George will see that even in the U.S. there are shelter and people who wouldn't pass a cat like Feely Felix by...
    :)

    Sincerely,

    Moki - Another disabled cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 06, 2008

    George, maybe part of the reason is that people are unsure of how to care for a blind cat. What special needs do you have, that a cat owner would have to be aware of and accommodate? I'd love to know...in fact, I'd be happy to put some info on my website to encourage people to adopt a blind cat. I've already put up some encouragement to adopt much maligned black cats. I look forward to your reply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear George and sweet feely Felix! My mommy would take you right away blind and all....she took me when no one wanted me anymore at my old house after nine years! I am very happy here now and loved to bits. God Bless you and know you are loved...
    Miss Peach

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 07, 2008

    Felix you are so fortunate. My human has such compassion for the disabled cats. My sister and I weren't disabled, but we were born out in some unknown place that my human doesn't even know about. She rescued my Mom, who was thrown out and abandon by some terrible human, and then my Mom brought us to our human and dropped us on the kitchen floor. We have had a wonderful life with our human. They treat me (my Mom and sister have both gone to the rainbow bridge) better than most children are treated. :-) I love it. I'm so glad Janice decided to adopt you and love you and take care of you. I know she must be a very special person to do that. You be kind to her and don't ignore her, be sociable and engaging, especially after she has given you all those toys. It's time for my nap. Cherro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I's glad Feely found a good home. I's herd of beans who had cats that went blind an they didn't efun notice any change in the cat's behavior! Dat's how "disabled" the cat was. I's sad bout the sadistics fur the US an shelter cats. I was a shelter cat!

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org