Thursday, October 18, 2007

I think I'd like a pet - a rabbit, perhaps


I have decided that I need a pet, a companion animal to enrich my life. I know I have two human pets. But they are so large and blundering. In a way humans don't make very good pets for us cats. They are dominating AND stupid. I think it would be nicer to have something smaller and cleverer. I thought about a worm. At one point, when I was only a kitten, I was very interested in worms. They wriggle very nicely and I found that intriguing. I would sit and look at them for hours and once or twice I brought one back home for Celia. She didn't appreciate it much but what human does gratitude when we bring things to them?
I'd like something more ambitious. Celia, whose daily misconduct includes going out instead of staying at home ready to service my needs when I pop in, came home smelling of rabbit yesterday. She had been sitting in the pen with Matilda, a large female rescue rabbit at the Blue Cross in Burford. The aim is to make Matilda more friendly and less feisty. She will get up on Celia's lap but if Celia tries to cuddle her, she is off doing a kind of rebel's lap round the enclosure. She also grunts with dislike if cornered. All in all, not a stupid bunny.
Matilda, I thought to myself, would make a nice companion animal for me. She smells delicious. She is warm and furry and I could snuggle up to her on the bed at night. She would take up less room than Celia on the bed. She is also brighter than Celia. Rabbits (unlike humans) understand scent marking. even if they do smell different. I am told some house rabbits live happily with cats and even intimidate them.
I am badly in need of some rabbit exercise. I haven't caught one for ages and ages. Matilda might fill the gap in my life and I wouldn't just leave her to Celia to look after. I would take a close interest in her every move.
If I got bored with her, I could just eat her.

4 comments:

  1. We have a Matilda in this house, but she isn't a rabbit - she is human, just! She is very furry first thing in the morning with her hair all over the place - good for kneading. HOWEVER she smells strongly of her cat who she leaves at home in London when she comes to visit - she is called Moo (!) and is a house cat. Matilda rescued her after her old lady died and the Cats Protection were looking after her, she is quite an elderly cat and has never been in the great outdoors, though Matilda tells me that she is a great mouser even so. The mice creep in under the door - but she is vigilant and keeps an eye out all the time.

    Meanwhile George 'good luck' with finding another pet. I myself am extremely stressed at the moment - my house is full of workmen, drills, holes, falling down ceilings, and large bangs. My food is being put down in the wrong place! BUT there are mice coming out of the (taken down) skirting boards... so hunting is good and escaping to the attic for a cuddle with Matilda is good but everything else is HORRID.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George you're a genius! Edible pets!!! what a way forward... must talk to human and try and persuade her that pet mouse would go down (please excuse the pun) really rather well!
    purring in anticipation
    Jaffa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mate, what a brilliant idea! A PET rabbit! I don't think my human would ever consider getting me a pet rabbit. Sometimes I manage to find small ones out in our garden, they made wonderful snacks! I really prefer chipmunks that hide in the ivy in the backyard. They are smaller and fun to catch and are bite size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, look closely at Matilda's back legs and strong front ones. I think you would have quite a battle on your hands should you try to eat her. Her face looks very worldly wise too.
    Harvey
    Love to my friend Celia.

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org