Saturday, March 10, 2007

Yet another example of mystifying human reactions.


Steffi-Next-Door, she who admires my mousing skills and wanted to borrow me as a rodent operative, has behaved outrageously. She has been away in holiday leaving the house empty except for my visits. I quite like going there for a look round, a snack if any food is down and a nap on her bed. She is normally happy about this and welcomes my visits. But this time, when she came back from holiday, I sauntered in only to find uproar. She was very emotional. Very. I had expected praise. It's not every day that a cat can kill a full grown pheasant. I thought she might like to share in my pleasure and may be even share a bit of the bird. (Well, perhaps not. Cats don't share). Anyway I thought at least she would admire my hunting skills and the way I had branched out from mice and small birds to large rabbits and equally large pheasants. She was the one who had kind things to say about my mousing. She admired it. My present of feathers was even better. Spectacular is what I would have called it.
Did she appreciate it? Heck, she did not. "Ohmigod! Look at this huge heap of feathers. I can't bear to clear it up," she wailed. I slunk off. Humans are completely unpredictable. Maybe it's a good thing Celia mowed their lawn while they were away. They seemed almost hostile for a moment.

4 comments:

  1. Good work mate. I'm proud of you! Human just can't appreciate our hunting abilities.

    Oscar Snuggls
    AKA: King of Tidewater
    Jonesboro, GA USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gorgeous George
    I felt I must let you know about my predecessor whose name was William (like your brother). He also brought my servant a pheasant and left it on the kitchen floor for her. I understand she was not amused and made an enormous fuss about it. Obviously she did not give him credit for his hunting skills either.
    Keep up the good work.
    Best regards
    Elegant Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gorgeous George
    I read about you catching a pheasant and thought I would tell you about my predecessor who also caught one. He was very proud of this skills but Sue, our servant, was definitely not amused.
    Why do we bother to bring them little presents when they are so ungrateful?
    Best regards
    Elegant Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Georgeous George
    Just a few lines to let you know that my ancestor William brought the servant a pheasant through the cat flap and left it on the kitchen floor as a treat.
    There was a lot of shouting about it but not one word of congratulation about his hunting skills either.
    Best regards
    Elegant Emma

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org