Saturday, March 03, 2007

Home improvements - a new morning alarm call device

For once, Celia has made a real home improvement for me. Normally I dislike any change whatsoever to my home territory. Thoughtless humans go in for quite unnecessary alterations sometimes involving the intrusion of hunky men with builders' bottoms, dust, grinding and hammering noises, and a radio set loudly to Radio 1. (My musical tastes are classical as you can see from my profile.) This particular home improvement involved only a short visit, a little bit of hammering, but no dust. The intruder hung up blinds in my bedroom, the one I generously allow Celia to share with me. Celia's aim seems to have been to cut out the morning light which conveniently wakes her up in late spring around the time that I think is suitable - somewhere near 6am most mornings. She hopes to drowse in bed for a further hour. Luckily, although the light is now much reduced, the intruder has thoughtfully installed a wake-up device which I easily mastered. It consists of three pieces of rope with a nice little plastic toggle on the end. When the blind is pulled down this hangs down to the windowsill where I can reach it. This morning I woke her without any difficulty at all at 6am by swinging the toggle and smashing it against the windowpane several times.
Neat, eh? More fun that scratching the bed and less trouble than sitting on her face.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous George
    I understand your feelings on men with builders bottoms my servant has had quite a number of them at my home recently - and she didn't ask my permission.
    I find the best thing for me is to recline on her shawl in the bottom of the wardrobe until they have left for the day and then come out complaining very loudly and demanding a long session of cuddles on knees.
    Best wishes from
    Elegant Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go George! My humans have venitian blinds all over their Virginia-style house with all the cords. :-) I'll have to remember that trick. At the present, they pop to attention if I scratch on the nice chair by the door in the den. I get to go our immediately! Keep up the good work mate.

    You like the real English term? My humans' pastor and his family are from Brighton, England and they are learning to speak real English. Then they come home and address in the proper King's English.

    Oscar Snuggles
    aka: King of Tidewater
    Jonesboro, GA USA

    ReplyDelete

Help for cats whose humans show behaviour problems.

This blog is devoted to the study of human behaviour. We cats, who live with this sometimes unpredictable and always feeble minded species, can benefit from seeing their behaviour in its proper scientific context. The study of feline dilemmas, training problems, and difficulties with humans, can only benefit all of us. All of us train our humans - to buy the right food, for instance, but many of us do not have knowledge of how to improve our training methods. The human species is obviously not as intelligent as the cat, but nevertheless can learn quite a lot - if properly managed. Topics of interest include the use of claw and order, purring as a human reward, rubbing your human up the right way, when to bite, spraying as a method of making our wishes known, ignoring the human, human harassment, human inattention and sheer human stupidity. I welcome your questions. Photos can be sent via my secretary's website, www.celiahaddon.com This blog has been chosen as one of the top 50 feline blogs by Online VetTechprogramms.org